Buff Comb Ripped Completely off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenmomma2, Jun 25, 2016.

1. chickenmomma2

chickenmomma2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    My Buffs comb was ripped completely off 9 days ago. Something got into the coop during a terrible storm and killed one, injured 2. Her wound has healed and I put her back in the coop last night. The hens started picking on her. How long before I can put her back in the run and she'll be safe? Do they perceive a weakness in her? The injury looks much better than the pic now. This was the day of the injury.
    [​IMG]

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Oh no! One of my buffs got a piece of their comb ripped off too. It's probably just the red color that they're picking at. If she's a little lethargic, then I would separate her until she's acting normally. After that, I would say that it would be fine if you put her back with the others as long as you put some blu-kote (or something similar) on the wound to conceal the red color until it's all healed. That will probably get them to ignore it. Good luck!

3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Blu-kote is a great idea and yes, they see her differently than before.
    Chickens have a blood thirsty nature- when they see the red color, instinct takes over and they will peck the injured flock mate to death.
    It's horrible, I know but those are the facts.
    Let us know if the Blu-Kote works and best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by