Buff Cornish X?

BlackHackle

Gone away, will be back next month
5 Years
Jun 1, 2018
Out North
My Coop
My Coop
Hey, just thought it'd be funny, but most of you know that the broiler (Cornish X) is made by crossing White Plymouth Rock roos with White Cornish (Indian Game) hens. But let's say I took one of my Buff Plymouth Rock roos and crossed him with buff Cornish hens and sold the chicks as meat birds, would they be too colorful for anyone to want to butcher?

I'd like to see buff meat birds myself.
Cornish X aren't just a white rock over a cornish hen though. They're a 4 way cross from stock that has been just about perfected at this point so your meat birds won't compare to the standard Cornish X meat birds.

I'd like to see buff meat birds myself.
Cornish X aren't just a white rock over a cornish hen though. They're a 4 way cross from stock that has been just about perfected at this point so your meat birds won't compare to the standard Cornish X meat birds.
Even if I use a very large cockbird and largely bred hens? Can I breed the hybrid results for size or would they be too big to be able to breed?

the Rock X cornish was the original cross, it will still produce a decent meat bird. The Cornish X of today is a 4 way cross and it has taken years of selective breeding to get the CX to the point it is now. It will still be cool to see the buff meat birds even if they are not as insane as the CX. Using large parent stock would probably help but still you won't be able to compete with the CX, but what breed really can compete with that monster? Here is a picture of a 11 week old WLRC (hatchery quality) compared to a CX, the CX is also 11 weeks.
37838819_1028480087328108_1702860258331852800_n.jpg

It would also be cool to compare the Buff CX you produce to a Standard CX, or other meat birds, it would be interesting to see how the original cross compares to the birds of today.

Back
Top Bottom