buff orpington 4 month old male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by leeboyz337, Jul 18, 2011.

1. leeboyz337

leeboyz337 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    these birds are 4 months old now. one is darker yellow out of the 4. it seems to be the most dominant and has thicker legs but one of the 3 light ones is getting the tall comb and bigger wattles.

[​IMG]
    in this one you can see the hackles on the darker one its in the middle there

[​IMG]
    the one front and center has the comb and the one in the back is the darker one

[​IMG]

let me know what you think.

2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    In the first picture it looks like the two on the left could be male. I'm no expert by any means but I have a 14 week old buff, so not quite 4 months but she looks very much like the one on the far right in the first pic. I could be wrong, maybe yours just had combs that grew faster than mine but that's my guess.

3. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    The darkest one is a Pullet. Im not sure about the other ones but if you got better pics I would probably tell.

4. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    At 4 months old all those birds are pullets, no sign of hackles or saddles in any of them, they should be getting ready to lay soon hence the darker larger wattles.

5. Chicken Boy-17

Chicken Boy-17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    look like gals to me

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2

7. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps