Buff Orpington has never laid an egg

Because I know. I only have six hens. I’ve used a cam to see who lays what. She’s never ever laid. Never went in a nesting box. Never a questionable egg. My husband also felt inside her vent a couple times and never an egg.
With 6 hens and that much watching, you're probably right.
Feeling inside the vent won't help much. You won't find an egg that way unless it is just about ready to be laid.

But I asked because you said you got her and 9 other breeds, and if you had 10+ hens you might not be able to tell for sure. And I've seen other posts about hens that "never" laid but they really were laying. (The most obvious ones usually involve Easter Eggers: someone is not getting any green eggs, because their EE lays brown just like the rest of the flock. Or sometimes there's a hidden nest.)

If she's that old, and the others have been laying for a while but she has not, it is quite likely she never will lay.

Yes I’m down to six hens from the 10. Bobcat and raccoons. I put a cam when they started laying to see who laid what egg and I was definitely surprised with who laid what. Glad I did that. I’ve put the cam a few times after that throughout the year to check up on them. This one hen has never laid. It’s weird too since I’ve seen the rooster mount her. I thought oh maybe now? But nothing still.

Yes I’m down to six hens from the 10. Bobcat and raccoons. I put a cam when they started laying to see who laid what egg and I was definitely surprised with who laid what. Glad I did that. I’ve put the cam a few times after that throughout the year to check up on them. This one hen has never laid. It’s weird too since I’ve seen the rooster mount her. I thought oh maybe now? But nothing still.
You could always smear lipstick or paste food coloring in her vent to be sure. I've read of this being done.

You could always smear lipstick or paste food coloring in her vent to be sure. I've read of this being done.
LOL! Nah. I’m quite sure she’s sterile at this point. But I heard some marans don’t lay til 15months old? But im betting she won’t lay.

I’m quite sure she’s sterile at this point. But I heard some marans don’t lay til 15months old? But im betting she won’t lay.
I'd bet she won't lay too. I also have a dud hen, 2 1/2 yrs old. She squatted a couple of times in her first year and may have laid once or twice (though not sure on that, as it could've been 2 eggs from another bird on 1 day) but even if those were hers, I don't consider 2 eggs in 2 1/2 years to be "laying."

Mine's only lucky that I don't mind feeding freeloaders. :D

Last edited:
LOL! Nah. I’m quite sure she’s sterile at this point. But I heard some marans don’t lay til 15months old? But im betting she won’t lay.
You could take bets on an egg pool, now that football season is over :fl, put money in the chicken pot...

Back
Top Bottom