Buff Orpington Male or Female?

So Jeff is going to be a year old in the next week or so. Still no eggs. I've talked with someone at a feed store (they call her the "chicken lady") who told me that the bigger the hen, the later she starts to lay.

But 1+ year for a Buff Orpington? Is that normal? Is there reason for concern or should I just be patient?

So Jeff is going to be a year old in the next week or so. Still no eggs. I've talked with someone at a feed store (they call her the "chicken lady") who told me that the bigger the hen, the later she starts to lay.

But 1+ year for a Buff Orpington? Is that normal? Is there reason for concern or should I just be patient?
I’m not a hundred percent sure... I had a black australorp who didn’t lay for 1.5 years. She didn’t start until after she was attacked by a dog and had healed up. That was when she was over a year though (the attack) I really hope everything’s ok with your girl!

Comb and wattles say rooster. Feather shape and body shape say hen.

Going out on a limb here, but I would probably bucket this one as in between hen and rooster. Maybe strange genetics or a hen with hormone issues?? I doubt it will lay eggs. There might be crowing like a rooster but it would not be able to fertilize eggs.

Following thread and would be super interested in updates.

At this point, I think it would be highly unlikely you will get eggs. I’m still guessing strange genetics or hen with hormone issues.

Have you heard crowing? Any interest in the nesting box?

Regardless of gender, very pretty bird for your flock! ❤️😍

Please keep updating. I would love to know if you ever get a egg.

Please post more pictures! She has a very masculine face and obviously that's not a good determination for sex, but it makes me wonder about hormone problems or being intersex. I almost never even bring that up as a possibility but 1+ years is a bit too long for a hatchery Orp

Please post more pictures! She has a very masculine face and obviously that's not a good determination for sex, but it makes me wonder about hormone problems or being intersex. I almost never even bring that up as a possibility but 1+ years is a bit too long for a hatchery Orp

Attachments

• IMG_5460.JPG
    IMG_5460.JPG
    844.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5463.JPG
    IMG_5463.JPG
    928.5 KB · Views: 14
So at this point, it doesn't seem at all like it's a rooster...no crowing and the feathers don't look like a rooster's feathers. It seems like the bigger question is why she's not laying eggs. Does that seem like it warrants a thread in a different forum?

The only interest in the nesting box is a night recently when she's wanted to cuddle up in there.

I'm inclined to agree with hormone issues. Very male looking comb and face on a female body.
Super masculine face 😳 So weird. I also find it weird how the large comb isn't drooped. Maybe there isn't a correlation between this is gender, but based on observations and some standards of large-combed breeds, the males typically have an upright comb and the females have a flopped one

Back
Top Bottom