Buff Orpington Male or Female?

chickenE

Crowing
Apr 30, 2017
Cary, NC
Comb and wattles say rooster. Feather shape and body shape say hen.

Going out on a limb here, but I would probably bucket this one as in between hen and rooster. Maybe strange genetics or a hen with hormone issues?? I doubt it will lay eggs. There might be crowing like a rooster but it would not be able to fertilize eggs.

Following thread and would be super interested in updates.

constana

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Here are the things that have made me question whether it's a hen:

1) the wattles and comb
2) Three weeks younger than my Dominique and Buckeye but have outgrown them (though this could just be different breeds growing at different rates)
3) More aggressive than I would have imagined after reading about Buff Orpingtons. It seems like she's at the top of the pecking order now, even though she's younger than the rest.

We are new to raising chickens, so it's encouraging to read most people say that she's a hen.

OneHappyRooster

Free Ranging
Apr 5, 2020
Orpington-Land
Here are the things that have made me question whether it's a hen:

1) the wattles and comb
2) Three weeks younger than my Dominique and Buckeye but have outgrown them (though this could just be different breeds growing at different rates)
3) More aggressive than I would have imagined after reading about Buff Orpingtons. It seems like she's at the top of the pecking order now, even though she's younger than the rest.

We are new to raising chickens, so it's encouraging to read most people say that she's a hen.
She is 10000% a pullet. I would bet my Orpington population on it, and my supply of canned peaches.
Eggs won't be long.
It's physically impossible for her to be male.

Top Bottom