Buff Orpington Male or Female?

Comb and wattles say rooster. Feather shape and body shape say hen.

Going out on a limb here, but I would probably bucket this one as in between hen and rooster. Maybe strange genetics or a hen with hormone issues?? I doubt it will lay eggs. There might be crowing like a rooster but it would not be able to fertilize eggs.

Following thread and would be super interested in updates.

Here are the things that have made me question whether it's a hen:

1) the wattles and comb
2) Three weeks younger than my Dominique and Buckeye but have outgrown them (though this could just be different breeds growing at different rates)
3) More aggressive than I would have imagined after reading about Buff Orpingtons. It seems like she's at the top of the pecking order now, even though she's younger than the rest.

We are new to raising chickens, so it's encouraging to read most people say that she's a hen.

Here are the things that have made me question whether it's a hen:

1) the wattles and comb
2) Three weeks younger than my Dominique and Buckeye but have outgrown them (though this could just be different breeds growing at different rates)
3) More aggressive than I would have imagined after reading about Buff Orpingtons. It seems like she's at the top of the pecking order now, even though she's younger than the rest.

We are new to raising chickens, so it's encouraging to read most people say that she's a hen.
She is 10000% a pullet. I would bet my Orpington population on it, and my supply of canned peaches.
Eggs won't be long.
It's physically impossible for her to be male.

Here's another look at Jeff, my Buff Orpington. She (I'm assuming) is now around 7-months old (31 weeks) and I'm pretty sure she's still not laying. My other two (a Dominique and a Buckeye) give us 10-12 eggs per week and I've added a light in their run to give them 12ish hours of daylight (not planning on doing this in subsequent winters, but I just wanted to encourage Jeff to hurry up and lay).

Nothing to really worry about, yet, right? It's taking longer than I expected, but it's also an awkward time to start laying with the dark days fully upon us, right?

Attachments

• IMG_5044.JPG
    IMG_5044.JPG
    608.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5045.JPG
    IMG_5045.JPG
    805.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5046.JPG
    IMG_5046.JPG
    769.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5048.JPG
    IMG_5048.JPG