Pics
Reviving this again with a question I was thinking about this morning, just out of curiosity.

Those of you who, like me, are just not fond of the color Buff on chickens, what are your thoughts on Red? Not like deep, dark, mahogany Red as in show quality Rhode Island Reds, but like these birds:

olive, skua, and sora getting ready for bed.jpg

Reviving this again with a question I was thinking about this morning, just out of curiosity.

Those of you who, like me, are just not fond of the color Buff on chickens, what are your thoughts on Red? Not like deep, dark, mahogany Red as in show quality Rhode Island Reds, but like these birds:

View attachment 2647230
Eh i like more color so i am not a fan of "red" @EmmaRainboe

View attachment 2647230

It's okay. Not my favorite color though.

View attachment 2647230
Ehhh I don't like it.

Eh i like more color so i am not a fan of "red" @EmmaRainboe
It's okay. Not my favorite color though.
Ehhh I don't like it.

Interesting, thanks for the responses! I feel about the same; not a fan of the classic red barnyard bird like in that picture, any of those shades or in between. And yes, those were my birds. :p

That said, I don't feel like I have as strong of an aversion to the variety as I do with solid buff, personally. Like, I have some Red Cochin bantams and I don't mind them, and I don't have a problem keeping some of them around or hatching from them occasionally, but I don't go out of my way to pick red varieties of breeds if there are other options available. On the other hand, I would never purposefully get a solid buff chicken regardless of breed; I'd rather just go without if that's the only option, honestly.

I like the light colored, almost cream, buff orpingtons.

Do you happen to have an example picture of this? I think it's been demonstrated here before, but, like, there are 55 pages and I'm tired 🤣 I feel like lighter buff would tread too closely to yellow for my tastes, yellow being my least favorite color so I don't think I'd personally be a fan.

Back
Top Bottom