Did you order them as eggs or as chicks? Not sure I'm 100% happy with the eggs that were selected to be sent to me (some had rough, brittle patches and a lot had big calcifications on them), but they were packaged really well and only had a few jiggly air cells, no breaks or anything. I think only 2 or 3 of them failed to develop at all so fertility was also great!

I'll definitely update with pictures as they grow, I mean as long as there are no objections! 😉 I have a habit of taking weekly pictures of most of my chicks as they grow, so about every Wednesday or Thursday at least I should have something to share.

Did you order them as eggs or as chicks? Not sure I'm 100% happy with the eggs that were selected to be sent to me (some had rough, brittle patches and a lot had big calcifications on them), but they were packaged really well and only had a few jiggly air cells, no breaks or anything. I think only 2 or 3 of them failed to develop at all so fertility was also great!

I'll definitely update with pictures as they grow, I mean as long as there are no objections! 😉 I have a habit of taking weekly pictures of most of my chicks as they grow, so about every Wednesday or Thursday at least I should have something to share.
I ordered chicks! I ordered 16, received 21. One was very weak on arrival and we lost another four to unknown causes within the next couple days. Seemed to be due to shipping stress of some sort I assume. I order the Brahma pack of 10 Brahmas and 4 Black Orpingtons and after losses ended up with 3 Black Orpingtons, 1 bonus Red Orpington, and 12 Brahmas. Many of mine were banded too which was nice and I was told which varieties corresponded with which band for most of them. Saved me from wondering like a lot of hatcheries. They wound up being of pretty good quality in my opinion as well. My Red Orp is tiny compared to the other Orps/Brahmas but as a bonus chick I won't complain and I love her personality! Sadly I lost two of my Black Orps-the cockerel from fly strike and a hen to a coyote. They were my only two losses too which is quite sad :/

Attachments

• D2DA13BD-8D96-4C96-A3AD-E05ADFE2682D.jpeg
    D2DA13BD-8D96-4C96-A3AD-E05ADFE2682D.jpeg
    640.1 KB · Views: 15
  • B825065A-796C-42BA-B74E-8A4EF6A74C0B.jpeg
    B825065A-796C-42BA-B74E-8A4EF6A74C0B.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 056BD065-F8FE-4CB2-87DE-C220AEB2CC46.jpeg
    056BD065-F8FE-4CB2-87DE-C220AEB2CC46.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 37000030-EBF0-4302-9983-AF33A7326331.jpeg
    37000030-EBF0-4302-9983-AF33A7326331.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 7
I just got a Buff who I called Buffy but I also got a Willow and a Cordelia all the appropriate blonde red and black (some people will get this) so i will have to see my opinion on buffs all I want them to do is lay eggs I dont expect too much more from them so we’ll see how it goes!
so far i find my buff orphinton to be super skittish but she is laying eggs but next to the nesting boxes in the dirt🤷I dont know maybe shes not that bright

about every Wednesday or Thursday at least I should have something to share.

Okay, so I already dropped the ball on this. 🤣 But I promise I took these pictures yesterday, I just never cropped them to post them! I'm currently busy in an annual tournament that happens every June on this gaming site I'm on, and I've been having a pretty rough time this week because of a particularly heartbreaking predator loss on Tuesday, so I'm a little bit behind on everything. :hmm

Here are my little Orpingtons at one week old! :love I currently also have some silkied Cochin babies that are a week older than these Orpingtons and the Orps seem so GIGANTIC already by comparison!! :eek: I've been trying to integrate the two brooders together this week, but our Crele baby is a meanie and pecks at my sweet lil Cochins when I'm not there to supervise, so no dice so far on that plan.

Crele.jpg

Chocolate Mottled purple band.jpg

(This little one would not cooperate, so this was the best I got of her, ugh!)

Chocolate mottled red band.jpg

I'm seeing a little chocolate coming through in her wing, though!! 😍

Chocolate Mottled red band wing.jpg

I’m kinda happy my “buff” Orpingtons ended up being more copper/red? (Both parents were buff Roos) & our roo ended up being a Dominique/Orpington cross. They’re both very lovey but glad they aren’t solid “buff”
I just wish they were more heat tolerant. It’s been in the 90s lately & ive had 2 watch these 2 Constantly giving them frozen feed & cold water + we covered the top of the run to give them plenty of shade

Attachments

• 299D021A-5484-42BC-B598-B1929710B8FD.jpeg
    299D021A-5484-42BC-B598-B1929710B8FD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Dang them things are slow growers.

They're feathering pretty slowly for sure, especially considering they all had staggered wing pins like fast feathering chicks! They, themselves, aren't growing slowly by any stretch, though--these are some chunky babies! :eek: Oddly enough, though they are huge already, they let the tiny bantam silkied Cochin babies push them around. 🤣

I don't have Orpingtons but the English ones are my favorite. Hatchery quality really ruins their natural look. All that fluff and fat is gone, so yeah, hatchery quality does ruin Orps and their signature fluff. And BTW the first orps were black so why is buff so popular! I mean there's English blue, buff, splash, lavender, silver lemon, crele and more. Why non-english buff!

Back
Top Bottom