buff orpington/rhode island red cross

This is what a Buff Orpington roo crossed with a Barred Rock hen looks like.
She was hatched 8/2/2019 by her mother.
She is a great egg layer, friendly, smartest hen I have, and best hen I have.

Attachments

• PRESIOUS.jpg
    PRESIOUS.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 82
Yes, I did, from Bama Chicken's stock of big beautiful RIRs and Buff Orps. Meg here is from Bama's RIR rooster and one of the BO hens. She is my heaviest hen.
DCP_8882.jpg
DCP_8883.jpg

EDITED TO ADD: My DH adores Meg and we would have hatched more of her cross this year if Julie hadn't already separated the Buff Orps out of the RIR pen. Meg is a sweetie.
I just crossed Heritage (Exhibition) Rhode Island Red cockerel with Buff Orpington Hen. I call them "Mollies". The name "Molly" comes from the movie "Chicken Run"...in the movie a Circus Rhode Island Red named "Rocky" flies to England and falls in love with a hen named "Ginger." In the sequel Rocky and Ginger hatch a chick and they call her Molly. They look like a New Hampshire but growing big very fast.

So far I've only hatched out a young roo and a young hen from my BO roo and RIR hen and I'm very pleased with the results. The young hen is very broody in her first summer of laying eggs, although her eggs are not as large as a RIR's. Her brother is very nice, not as assertive as a full blood RIR roo. I took pics today as the rain finally quit after about a week's worth of it and will have to download and post. I like the coloring on the roo, his sister has become a bit sunbleached as most the summer was dry and sunny. BTW, one of my BO hen's hatched out her first brood and the halfbreed's mother, the RIR hen was very good with the BO chicks today who left the nest and took a walk in the yard w/their mama, all day long. The ducks were also very nice to the chicks, I think because one of the Cayuga ducks hatched out one of the BO chicks but I took it away after it was three days old and gave it to the BO hen with her other 9 chicks as I was afraid the ducks would try to teach the BO chick to swim.

Back
Top Bottom