buff orpington/rhode island red cross

I did this cross in the spring. RIR roo over Buff Orp hens. The chicks were big, beautiful, and ginger colored. They feathered in more like Orps, and had great temperments. I sold them before they started laying- but I'd have to say it was my favorite hybrid.
big_smile.png

here they are with an EE:
28521_gingerchix.jpg

Last edited:
I have a single RIR x BO pullet. For the longest time I thought this bird was the world's most timid cockeral because of early comb development. I almost rehomed the bird, but have been very glad I haven't. She has the buff orp soft feathering and body shape and is a similar color to Speckled's Meg. Surprisingly, she lays the lightest colored egg of all my girls. I think as she gets older (March 2009 hatch) she will develop more lacing and be one of my prettiest birds. Her temperament is definitely BO, and she is my most timid bird, and shaping up to be the largest.

Hi everyone, (this is my first post, just joined today, yipee!) and I am VERY new to keeping chickens. Purchased (just this afternoon, in fact) 2 orpington/RIR cross hens. At least, that's what they told me they were! They are BIG girls!! Very pretty and seem fairly easygoing. My question is, for those of you with experience with this cross, are they good layers?? I told them I wanted good, large laying hens and this is what they sold me.
Any info/tips/tricks for a newbie would be appreciated! Thank you!!!

Hi everyone, (this is my first post, just joined today, yipee!) and I am VERY new to keeping chickens. Purchased (just this afternoon, in fact) 2 orpington/RIR cross hens. At least, that's what they told me they were! They are BIG girls!! Very pretty and seem fairly easygoing. My question is, for those of you with experience with this cross, are they good layers?? I told them I wanted good, large laying hens and this is what they sold me.
Any info/tips/tricks for a newbie would be appreciated! Thank you!!!

Welcome to byc.. mine are young yet.. but I believe that they will be great layers. Hybrids are usally better layers.

Thanks Rod-T! :)
Can't wait to see what happens with them. They are beautiful birds. I imagine with the cold starting to set in (plus the drastic environment change) egg production will probably be minimal until spring. But I can handle that.

Back
Top Bottom