*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Bella and Daisy
1621835_10200511872558974_2117622766_n.jpg
highfive.gif

Here's a question for all you chicken behaviorist experts, which I am not. Had chickens on the farm but did not interact with them like I do with my buff pets. My dad frowned on me making pets out of our farm animals, cows, chickens, pigs, goats, rabbits, etc. Anyway my question is this - do chickens recognize you by sight, sound or smell? Had a friend over and she wanted to see the chickens. I walked out and they started running toward me until they saw my friend and then they wouldn't come as close as they usually do. They eventually turned and walked away. They recognized me and my husband but not strangers. Is it by sight, sound or smell?

Here's a question for all you chicken behaviorist experts, which I am not. Had chickens on the farm but did not interact with them like I do with my buff pets. My dad frowned on me making pets out of our farm animals, cows, chickens, pigs, goats, rabbits, etc. Anyway my question is this - do chickens recognize you by sight, sound or smell? Had a friend over and she wanted to see the chickens. I walked out and they started running toward me until they saw my friend and then they wouldn't come as close as they usually do. They eventually turned and walked away. They recognized me and my husband but not strangers. Is it by sight, sound or smell?
Chickens know you by how you look, move, and sound. I don't think scent enters into it;.

Finally!! All but 1 of my 6 hens is laying! One of which has been sitting in the nest box about 4 hrs on 6 fake eggs that my kiddos had been playing with and stuck all in 1 box for some reason. Idk that she plans on staying there, but got me curious....

If she DID decide to be a broody girl, & after a few days I was sure and put some real eggs under her. Would she get off of the nest before they hatched because she had already been sittin a few days??

I had one broody one who kept sitting. And kept sitting. I kept moving her and removing eggs. And she kept sitting.
roll.png

After 3 weeks of this I gave her three eggs to sit on and she hatched them all and was a great mama. 6 weeks on a nest! She got lots of extra tidbits.

Depends on the chicken I think.

I got distracted. I was going to post some pics. My daughter does that to me too. She starts babbling in the car and I miss my exit.

Anyway.... Corn! (and that's a duck on the far right)

"Mister" below had the tip of his comb freeze when it got below zero. I keep Vaseline on it, but I'm afraid it will be rounded this summer. He also got some white in his tail feathers when he molted. Look at the size of those spurs - I hope they stop growing. He's incredibly gentle though, my 5-year-old can pet him.

I had one broody one who kept sitting. And kept sitting. I kept moving her and removing eggs. And she kept sitting.   :rolleyes:

After 3 weeks of this I gave her three eggs to sit on and she hatched them all and was a great mama. 6 weeks on a nest! She got lots of extra tidbits.

Depends on the chicken I think.
oh wow!!! That's crazy!! LOL

Finally!! All but 1 of my 6 hens is laying! One of which has been sitting in the nest box about 4 hrs on 6 fake eggs that my kiddos had been playing with and stuck all in 1 box for some reason. Idk that she plans on staying there, but got me curious....

If she DID decide to be a broody girl, & after a few days I was sure and put some real eggs under her. Would she get off of the nest before they hatched because she had already been sittin a few days??

If she is truly setting, she will stay. When they lay and collect eggs themselves it takes a week or more. Otherwise they would be having clutches of just a few.....
I had a hen this year who's eggs did not hatch. I felt so bad for her, I ordered eggs shipped. She hatched them....must have been about 7 weeks
good luck............
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom