*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
Dragonlady, very nice Buff Orpington in your avatar!

thumbsup.gif

is that Dolly?

Last edited:
I can't wait to get BO for my flock! I think they're the perfect breed for my purposes. Just one concern - are they loud birds? Every site says that they're docile and calm, but some people say they are the loudest birds in the flock. Any insight on this??

I can't wait to get BO for my flock! I think they're the perfect breed for my purposes. Just one concern - are they loud birds? Every site says that they're docile and calm, but some people say they are the loudest birds in the flock. Any insight on this??
Ours has always been docile and fairly quiet.

However, our flocks are now on a different location. The distance only allows us to feed and water every other day. So when I pull in EVERYTHING starts yelling at me. Its a nice sound. When we start walking past the coops, they all quiet down and just quietly cluck and stuff at me.

Here are some older photos of my kids with some Orpingtons. Notice that seldom does my kids have their hands holding the birds. We see no difference in the temperament of the buffs and the other color varieties we raise. The bantams are as gentle as the large fowl.

Some of our current large fowl Orpingtons. Our new Buff cockerel is still young, so we are using a White Wyandotte for a project.

Last edited:
That's Dolly at 5 months ! Sofia, Marilyn, and Gina are well endowed girls too ! Thank you !

I'll get new photos when the girls finish their molt. Feathers everywhere now, but the silly girls are STILL laying !
Here's what one of Dolly's daughters looks like at 5 months. She's laying now.

Sired by Monty....

I just purchased 4 buff orpington chicks are these types of chickens friendly, and good egg layers? How noisy do the hens become as they grow into adults? Thanks,
jumpy.gif
this is my first time raising chicks!
I love my buff orpingtons. The hens can get pretty noise when the start laying but eventually the quite down. I have noticed the are not nearly as nosiey as my Silver or Gold Laced Hens they can drive me nuts. Good luck!
Debbie

Ours has always been docile and fairly quiet.

However, our flocks are now on a different location. The distance only allows us to feed and water every other day. So when I pull in EVERYTHING starts yelling at me. Its a nice sound. When we start walking past the coops, they all quiet down and just quietly cluck and stuff at me.

Here are some older photos of my kids with some Orpingtons. Notice that seldom does my kids have their hands holding the birds. We see no difference in the temperament of the buffs and the other color varieties we raise. The bantams are as gentle as the large fowl.

Some of our current large fowl Orpingtons. Our new Buff cockerel is still young, so we are using a White Wyandotte for a project.

Jim love all the pictures your buffs are beautiful!
Debbie

Back
Top Bottom