*Buff Orpington Thread!*

My buff orpington chick is a bully! We have three chicks about 5 weeks old - a BO, a black sex link and an ISA brown. Our BO is AWFUL to our ISA, and will occasionally pick at our black sex link. These chicks have all been together since they were less than a week old. I really disappointed because we purposely selected a BO because they are supposed to be so nice.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or did we just end up with a mean BO?

My buff orpington chick is a bully! We have three chicks about 5 weeks old - a BO, a black sex link and an ISA brown. Our BO is AWFUL to our ISA, and will occasionally pick at our black sex link. These chicks have all been together since they were less than a week old. I really disappointed because we purposely selected a BO because they are supposed to be so nice.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or did we just end up with a mean BO?

I have the same problem, my BO's that I picked because their suppose to be so easy going are so hRd on the two hens under them. They plucked poor Jezebel a bald spot on top her head. Well things got better when Winnie went broody and stayed in the coop all the time. Penny fit in well and was very little to no pecking just a little over food, normal stuff. Now Winnie has snapped out of her broody ness so we shall see how it goes. It may be awhile tho cause Jezebel is starting to go broody. I have really been trying to hang in there hoping they will become a peacefully flock. But if Winnie doesn't come around she will have to go. When they were starting to lay and figure out the pecking order she would also challenge me pecking me hard even caused a welt and bruising, and flocked at me. I almost got rid of her then but hung in there and had to show her I was boss now she will squat when I come around so we got through that. I hope that this will pass to and she will stop being so mean to Jezebel and Beth. I guess there's always exceptions to the rule. Some people will blame it on hatchery stock which I did get mine from coastal not a breeder. But I have read people with hatchery birds get really sweet ones. I guess it's the luck of the drawl. Winnie is a odd ball all the way around, she has a odd personality acts dorky has a wired floppy cone and lays wired huge shaped eggs lol. I had to part with my rooster because he started pecking her in the head she got a little broody around him and started running around acting like a total nut hollering. Anyway best of luck with yours. I usually don't tolerate a bully she better change her ways. It's so nice having a peaceful flock.

Many thanks to the person who told me he/she had a Buff Orpington pullet who feathered in very slowly--seems that my Betsy is truly a Betsy and not a Bubba after all. I had years of experience with my Blue/Black/Splash Orp line and any chick that feathered that way was a definite cockerel, but with hatchery stock or even another line of Orps, things can be different, I guess.

Here is Betsy at about 9 weeks old, pinkish though her wattles and comb may be, her shape is pullet and the comb is not enlarged at all. She still has no tail, LOL.

My roo Captain

Many thanks to the person who told me he/she had a Buff Orpington pullet who feathered in very slowly--seems that my Betsy is truly a Betsy and not a Bubba after all. I had years of experience with my Blue/Black/Splash Orp line and any chick that feathered that way was a definite cockerel, but with hatchery stock or even another line of Orps, things can be different, I guess.

Here is Betsy at about 9 weeks old, pinkish though her wattles and comb may be, her shape is pullet and the comb is not enlarged at all. She still has no tail, LOL.

How time flies!! Wasn't she just a little thing a few days ago?? Seems like it
wink.png

My roo Captain
He's handsome!

Quote: Golly, it sure does! I had written that she was 7 weeks old, then thought I'd better count on the calendar and was shocked that I was 2 weeks behind, LOL. She's a sweet thing like all my Buff Orps I've had, except for one 3 year old hen I have now who has always been skittish, but then, Hope is a bit odd in several ways.

Back
Top Bottom