Buff Orpingtons

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BackyardBirds720, Jul 8, 2011.

1. BackyardBirds720

BackyardBirds720 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    North Central Florida
    I am looking to get some Buff Opringtons... from Cackle Hatchery. Does anyone have specific advice?

I have Buff Orpingtons before. Praying for the best this time around! [​IMG] - Although, last time my Buff Opringtons never went broody, only the Australorps did; I'm hoping that the Orpingtons this time around are more broody!

Thank You,
    BB720

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    My blue orp has just gone broody and i really NEVER expected that of her!!! i think it just happens sometimes [​IMG]

3. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Doesn't it depend on what you want them to do? if you WANT them to go broody, you have no hope of it![​IMG] If you want to keep a steady stream of eggs with no broodies, you will have them alternating broodiness, just as soon as one stops another will start. [​IMG]

I love my Buffs. Good luck!

4. A2SciTeach

A2SciTeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    A2 MI
    I love the Buffs also, very docile and regular layers. They do have a tendency toward broodiness but hey, why not? They are a nice, natural all purpose bird.[​IMG]

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    As a side note, hatchery Buff Orps are more of a production strain and will not go broody as often, or maybe not at all, when compared to breeder or show quality Buff Orps.

6. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I got two BO's from McMurray Hatchery last summer. One of which went broody this spring. Good luck!

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:This is the way my chickens work [​IMG] I got some buff orps to hatch eggs and not one of them went broody in the 3+ years I've had them.

8. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Quote:This is the way my chickens work [​IMG] I got some buff orps to hatch eggs and not one of them went broody in the 3+ years I've had them.

Would we have it any other way? I just regret the wasted years with no hens to keep me guessing!
    I overheard my sister telling my cousin I picked BOs' because they matched my cat. [​IMG]
    I asked around and did research. Love my girls.

9. BillickChix

BillickChix Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    I have five Buff Orpington hens. Only one has gone broody - Arjean - who is also my little best friend. She is trained to run to the front coop door when I make a certain noise (none of the other chickens have caught on), sits in my lap, falls asleep nuzzling me, sunbathes/tries to dustbathe in my lap (and I think she even tries to preen my "feathers") and follows me around the property. Greatest chicken ever! The other BO's all have distinct personalities - I've got the rogue, the shy one, the graceful waif, and the loner BO who looks like a chicken supermodel who screams every time I pick her up. They were all raised with equal amounts of human contact with no trauma. I love them all! I may be a little chicken-crazy when I hand-feed Arjean her morning berries...but I don't care. She is more bonded to me than my cats are!

10. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota

Would we have it any other way? I just regret the wasted years with no hens to keep me guessing!
    I overheard my sister telling my cousin I picked BOs' because they matched my cat. [​IMG]
    I asked around and did research. Love my girls.

That is cute. I may or may not be guilty of this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by