Buff x Lavender

aprildawn9

Chirping
Feb 1, 2018
Southern Manitoba
Hi everyone,
I've heard that crossing buff and lavender is not a good choice. So i have a couple questions... I've seen as of late the isobel cuckoo orpington color take off. I've also seen some "Solid" isobel orpingtons AND some solid "peach" color orpingtons.....

- How is this solid peach color achieved? (No barring or cuckoo visible)
- What color crossings would achieve this?

To me this seems to be a diluted buff color... Am i off base?

I've heard that crossing buff and lavender is not a good choice.
In Silkies that is called blue creme or Porcelain...

can you please share why it isn't a good idea, according to what you have read?

Also, please post a pic of your "peach" Orp! I don't have the answer you seek... but really enjoy the genetic learning journey. :pop

One of the seemingly more knowledgeable peeps regarding genetics... @The Moonshiner any insight, always appreciated. :thumbsup

In Silkies that is called blue creme or Porcelain...

can you please share why it isn't a good idea, according to what you have read?

Also, please post a pic of your "peach" Orp! I don't have the answer you seek... but really enjoy the genetic learning journey. :pop

One of the seemingly more knowledgeable peeps regarding genetics... @The Moonshiner any insight, always appreciated. :thumbsup

I've heard that lavender over buff will just create a bunch of red leakage that does not go away with continued breeding.. Now i dont actually know if thats true or not. I'd just like to create a peachy color and i have a buff and a lavender... so essentially i would like to create offspring that are a very light buff color.

Do you have a pic of one of these peach orps?
Never heard of them.
blush.jpg

:love Wow amazing coloring :love Never heard of a "peach", if you're in contact with the person that owns that Orp, is it her stock or purchased? I'd try back tracking.

There's an older thread about Buff x Lavender, offspring coloring was like that of a GLW. I'm curious, someone gave me a Lavender pair (siblings) whom I had to rehome (no crowing allowed). I have 4 Buff (pullets) & my friend who has the LOs were wondering what colors we'd get with the LO/male x BO/female :pop

Last edited:
I've heard that lavender over buff will just create a bunch of red leakage that does not go away with continued breeding.. Now i dont actually know if thats true or not. I'd just like to create a peachy color and i have a buff and a lavender... so essentially i would like to create offspring that are a very light buff color.
I would say... gotta try! ;) :wee

I would aim to get porcelain/blue cream/isabel and cross it back to buff... or something like that. Happy adventuring! :pop

Oh... and hatch a lot, eat a lot, keep a few... that match closest to what you want. :)

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

wondering what colors we'd get with the LO/male x BO/female
That link says you will get black off spring... The second drop down tab is in English. And this one doesn't say what the asterisks are about. Maybe it means you will get some isabel or isabel in your next generation crossed back. :confused:

50% Pullets, black unicolor?*E*Db
50% Cockerels, black unicolor?*E*Db

Still don't know what the "peach" bird is.
You were saying you were thinking of a diluted buff. And that you had lavender and buff. So if I was curious about that combination first thing comes to mind is porcelain D'uccles.
They're just a lavender version of a mille fleur. Which is buff Columbian with mottling.
Match up the color that replaced the buff of a MF on a porcelain. See what you think. Should give a good idea.

Still don't know what the "peach" bird is.
You were saying you were thinking of a diluted buff. And that you had lavender and buff. So if I was curious about that combination first thing comes to mind is porcelain D'uccles.
They're just a lavender version of a mille fleur. Which is buff Columbian with mottling.
Match up the color that replaced the buff of a MF on a porcelain. See what you think. Should give a good idea.
A note for the OP is that crossing lavendar to buff should not present with offspring that have columbian or mottling as they do in Porcelain D'Uccles.
I am aware that this is an example, but I feel the point should be made.

@aprildawn9 To add on:
Lavender is recessive. When first crossed with anything it will not show up in the Phenotype.
Instead, you will get buff colored heterozygous offspring.
Cross them back to lavender or to each other and you will get 50% buff with lavendar and 50% pure buff.
Typically, buff over lavender creates what is called a "straw" base color.

Simply breeding lavender into buff will not work. Buff is not completely groundcolored and the genes controlling black expression in buffs is unknown.
Instead, your buffs should first be bred into a columbian pattern to create a buff columbian. Probably best done by using buff Columbian rocks. Then, you can add the lavender gene. As mentioned before, all F1 offspring will be split. Breed F1 to F1 to get lavender expression.
At that point you will get what is called a Champagne Blonde, which I believe you are trying to create.

Best,
Cyprus :)

Back
Top Bottom