Building a new coop/building. Looking for ideas.

Black Cochin Bantams

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Iowa
Having lost over 100 Cochins and thousands of dollars to raccoons this summer I am replacing the red shed in the top picture. It worked well for many years but I am getting older and want a building I can stand up in to clean. 4' high outside wall wear you down over time. So I am building a new secure building that is 24 x 40. Concrete work is done now so the building will go up in about a week or so after the concrete cures. I am going to insulate it. Suggestions on what you would put on the inside walls to protect the insulation and birds? My thoughts are that drywall is too fragile to hold up long term. Fiberglass panels like milkhouses? I am not sure what to use. Please give me your ideas.
Thank you

Wow, that is going to be an amazing coop! Mine is not near so large. The building is 10x14 but is also built on a concrete slab. Like you, I wanted to be able to move around in it comfortably, so the walls are 8' high. I just framed it like a shed, built some trusses for the roof etc (you can see the whole build in my "My Coop" page).

I would recommend against insulating. From what I've heard, it causes more problems than it solves. In Kansas where I live, our winters aren't quite as severe as yours, but that said, we usually have a week or so of single digit weather at some point over the winter and even some days that are below 0 and my birds have never seemed that bothered by the temperatures. As long as they don't have drafts, they do fine.

What we get a lot of are winds, and while in summer the prevailing winds were from the south, in winter they are from the north (brrrr). No matter how brisk and cold it is when I am working outside the coop, the second I open the door and step inside it FEELS 20 degrees warmer because I am out of the wind, even though the thermometer would tell you the actual temperature is the same. So if you are wanting to insulate for your own comfort rather than the birds, keep in mind that inside the coop you might be quite comfortable since you are out of the wind.

Wow, that is going to be an amazing coop! Mine is not near so large. The building is 10x14 but is also built on a concrete slab. Like you, I wanted to be able to move around in it comfortably, so the walls are 8' high. I just framed it like a shed, built some trusses for the roof etc (you can see the whole build in my "My Coop" page).

I would recommend against insulating. From what I've heard, it causes more problems than it solves. In Kansas where I live, our winters aren't quite as severe as yours, but that said, we usually have a week or so of single digit weather at some point over the winter and even some days that are below 0 and my birds have never seemed that bothered by the temperatures. As long as they don't have drafts, they do fine.

What we get a lot of are winds, and while in summer the prevailing winds were from the south, in winter they are from the north (brrrr). No matter how brisk and cold it is when I am working outside the coop, the second I open the door and step inside it FEELS 20 degrees warmer because I am out of the wind, even though the thermometer would tell you the actual temperature is the same. So if you are wanting to insulate for your own comfort rather than the birds, keep in mind that inside the coop you might be quite comfortable since you are out of the wind.

My old bldg is insulated. No troubles with that. I think I can keep the whole bldg 50 with propane for the same $ I used to keep water from freezing. I want to be able to cool as well if needed. Lost some older ones to heat. I would only have to get it down to 85-90 to keep them alive and in good show condition. I am going to check out your site! I will take more pictures and keep this updated until it is done. Hopefully by New Years. Thank you.

Oh, yeah. I too recommend the fiberglass reinforced panels (FRP). They are impervious to moisture as long as you seal the seams good.

Back
Top Bottom