Building a Run

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
Does anyone have suggestions, drawings, etc on how to make a half way decent looking run for not alot of money? We want to build one that is about 10 x 20.

This should be big enough for 15 chickens right?

I don't have a design or drawing, we just used what we had around here.
We used garden timbers for the base and then 2x4s for the sides. Around the top we used 1x2s. To do it over again I would put a 2x4 every 4 feet to have better support for the top, mainly because I was nailing into it and it was bouncing. If you have a nail gun or stapler you wouldn't necessarily need the extra 2x4s. After the frame was built we just put the hardware cloth around it.

I hope this helps.

Tonya

Try cattle panels. They are about 16 feet long and (I think) 4 feet tall. You can cut the length if you need to. Use j-clamps or hog rings to attach hardware cloth to them. And once you conect 4 of them together, they are free standing. You could also over lap 2 of them about 2 feet to make your run 6 feet tall.

I saw a run built with pvc pipe. I know it is in this forum somewhere and may even be at the BYC home page under coop designs. I think it has some stability problems but if you know that going in you might make some adjustments to avoid those problems.

Back
Top Bottom