Building My First Coop

My Daughter who I share the eggs and chickens with has decided she wants her own flock at her place about 10 miles away from our place . Between my wife and 3 grandsons here and my daughter , son in law and their 2 children , on our best week at 42 eggs we never have many eggs to spare so from that perspective alone its a good idea. Its also fun for the kids and my daughter really enjoys coming over here and taking care of the birds . After talking to her about it she wants a duplicate of the coop I built in this thread , same everything . I really can't think of anything I would change at this point , egg gathering , clean up and feeding , watering are all fast and easy . The coop stays dry and draft free ,the venting all was sufficient over the winter . The auto pop door works great . So I gave her a list and links to everything I bought online for the coop down to the paint I used and she is starting to gather supplies . I'll start her build probably in May or June . She has found a farm that deals in chicks and started pullets about 1/2 hr drive from her place and already spoke to them about getting 6 started pullets from them around August or September . Looks like its gonna be another busy summer , hopefully things will also be back to normal by then .

They will keep doing that? You may never see them again, JK! :gig
Ha , they'll still be coming around , the above ground pool draws the kids in the summertime . :lau

What Fun!!

It will be more fun than building my coop because I won't be spending my own money . But I do enjoy building .

We can hope in one hand....and....you know the rest.
Sorry, feeling down today.
I know , we are all on edge . Better days are coming .

One year update . I finished the coop build October 15 , 2019 , the 4 week old chickies went in it Oct. 17 , 2019 , so coop is a bit over 1 year old , and pullets are now hens . All is as good as when new , haven't even had to change out the original set of rechargeable double A's in the Ladies First door . No leaks , no smells , no vermin . One thing I should add is I put out 2 fly traps near the run over the summer and while we never noticed any fly problems the traps did fill and had to be emptied once and just now they are about full again . They do work pretty good . The wood chips in the run are working out great as is the chopped hemp inside the coop . The nest boxes work great too , they never lay anyplace else , they use all 3 of them , although their favorite one is closest to the back door . PDZ on the poop boards makes it easy to clean and keeps any smells down to nothing . The metal roofing worked as expected and I never saw any drips or problems with any condensation . Overall I am very happy with the coop/run combo and hope to get many more years of use from it . Here's my alarm to go out and check for eggs this morn (got 5) :)

Lovely!! I smiled reading your update and grinned listening to your egg alarm.

Thank you .

Good to hear all is well! Do you have any picture updates, of the grown up girls? 😁

Here they are , the afternoon hangout .

coup 35.jpg

Back
Top Bottom