Building new coop in old cow barn

Have to say I agree with you about heat. Installing long tube heaters that have adjustable temperature gauge. Don’t want any frostbite either and want to be comfortable working in coop. I don’t get it either as to why one would not want their chickens comfortable.

Not worried at all about fire. Have qualified electricians doing all electrical install. Heaters will not be hung near anything combustible.

Outages are so rare that it probably wouldn’t happen but if it does have generators.

When we get those weeks of -20’s and -30’s the chickens are going into the horse barn that is heated into the 50’s. That is brutal weather and want all creatures together so I can take care of them safely.

Did purchase 1/4 hardware cloth for the coop.

Ready to start building will keep you posted. Thanks for suggestions.
We do want our chickens comfortable, but we also want them alive.
Here are two main reasons most of us do NOT rely on heat in a coop:
  • If the power fails and your chickens have acclimated to a heated coop, they will be suddenly plunged into very cold temperatures and the stress can kill them.
  • If the very dusty environment causes a fire, it is highly unlikely any will survive.
It also costs a lot of money to heat a properly ventilated coop.

We are mammals, not birds. We feel the cold in a way the birds do not.

How many chickadees and cardinals do you see sleeping in heated coops? Yet they still survive out in the blowing snow with no protection at all.

We offer our chickens the comfort of a DRY draft free coop with thick fluffy bedding and a large airy run protected from cold driving winds with tarps so the chickens can enjoy the day outside without being negatively affected by the elements.

We feed our chickens a complete healthy ration and make sure they go to roost with full crops. They do not have to forage for anything.

Seems to me these chickens lead pretty cushy lives compared to their wild distant cousins.

Good to know Kat

How high is your roost? On my plans going 36”, poop tray, 13” (no pecking) then bar bringing roost to a total of 52”. Plan is to have a ladder on either end. However thinking about the jumpers and wondering if this is too high for the heavier birds. 4ft 3” is a big drop. Maybe I should lower to 3’ 3”. Thoughts?

Another thing I am confused about is the roost bar. Bought 2 3/4” hand rails that are rounded on edges. After reading some articles thought this work the best however a lot of folks seem to like 4” flat. What is best for the chickens? Thinking I should do a split of handrail and 4” flat and let them choose.

Fortunately have the space to give the chickens lots of room so going to use it. Without a doubt will be changing my mind often :D

Cool!
Will you also have separate areas for storage of feed and supplies?
And one or two other areas for brooding chicks and/or isolation hospital pens?

Heat is fine, as long as it's safe, but don't restrict ventilation to 'hold heat'.

This is a big unused barn aside from several horses in the loafing shed. If I need to have the horses inside move them to the main barn.

Have lots of empty stalls to move my supplies into as well as feed. The barn has running water and electric so it is ideal.

Good idea about isolation pens. In future will look a stall for that purpose. Could easily make coops and runs off of south side of barn but crossed out that idea as would not be able to see the chickens from my house.

EBDB6B04-4F61-45B2-B481-D02181E3A89C.jpeg 934BCCED-97AD-439B-B315-FA084DF4BCDA.jpeg F053EBB0-0E4E-4C5B-B6B5-ECC13AA21B7E.jpeg

It’s a big barn. Room isn’t going to be an issue but figuring how to utilize it is.

Plan is to have a ladder on either end. However thinking about the jumpers and wondering if this is too high for the heavier birds. 4ft 3” is a big drop. Maybe I should lower to 3’ 3”. Thoughts?
My thoughts here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Another thing I am confused about is the roost bar. Bought 2 3/4” hand rails that are rounded on edges. After reading some articles thought this work the best however a lot of folks seem to like 4” flat. What is best for the chickens? Thinking I should do a split of handrail and 4” flat and let them choose.
Those will likely be fine (is the actual width measurement 2.75?), roost size is a much and hotly debated topic here.

Without a doubt will be changing my mind often
Use screws to build everything, deck and drywall screws are easy to use and more than enough for most chicken things, then much easier to change things up.

You'll most likely discover they value location more than the actual roost used (up to a point... they're not going to want a 1" metal rod): https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-perch-experiment.74272/

Rounded off handrails are IMO probably close to the ideal shape and size bars for chickens.

My thoughts here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Those will likely be fine (is the actual width measurement 2.75?), roost size is a much and hotly debated topic here.

Use screws to build everything, deck and drywall screws are easy to use and more than enough for most chicken things, then much easier to change things up.
My thoughts here:

Had to go to work so will review articles and make changes tomorrow.

B19EED9F-DEEF-47E8-93FE-174A7864F2B5.jpeg

Current drawing. Thinking I tried to stay with the article you sent and DobieLovers design.

Current drawing.
I'd go lower on the roosts, ~8" above board....
...and fewer supports(maybe one, if any) underneath roost,
they just get in the way of cleaning and are probably unnecessary.
Go with none and can stick something under if too much sag occurs.

Back
Top Bottom