Building new coop in old cow barn

I'd go lower on the roosts, ~8" above board....
...and fewer supports(maybe one, if any) underneath roost,
they just get in the way of cleaning and are probably unnecessary.
Go with none and can stick something under if too much sag occurs.

Ok good to know. Thank you it is too high.

Good to know Kat

How high is your roost? On my plans going 36”, poop tray, 13” (no pecking) then bar bringing roost to a total of 52”. Plan is to have a ladder on either end. However thinking about the jumpers and wondering if this is too high for the heavier birds. 4ft 3” is a big drop. Maybe I should lower to 3’ 3”. Thoughts?

Another thing I am confused about is the roost bar. Bought 2 3/4” hand rails that are rounded on edges. After reading some articles thought this work the best however a lot of folks seem to like 4” flat. What is best for the chickens? Thinking I should do a split of handrail and 4” flat and let them choose.

Fortunately have the space to give the chickens lots of room so going to use it. Without a doubt will be changing my mind often :D

The original was about 4 feet high but silly me with my original (new chicken mama) design had a little "roof" (and sides) over it, thinking it would help keep the heat in for them in the winter. Yeah, that sure didn't last. Even though it was slanted, they found their way up to the top and that's where they wanted to be. So, I changed it to flat, it became the "poop board" and I set a removable roost on top of it so it was easy to clean. So that roost is about 6' high.

Here is an old video of the first ramp I put in... the roost is actually on the wall that can't be seen. Where the chickens are coming from is a spot they like to hang out (if they are locked in)... they can see the rest of the barn from it. I have put another roost in on the wall that the ramp starts at and that is higher and I have a small ramp going from that down to the bigger ramp. There is also now another that goes from the one you see all the way to floor that was put in after one of the girls got her foot stepped on and she was limping for a bit (that way she didn't have to land on it). I also have treads on the ramp now so they don't slide.

That is awesome. Lined up all in a row.

Redesigned roost a bit. Just shortened stacks and put in brackets removing leg supports per Aart’s recommendation.

Going to order 4” wide handrails so they can choose if they want to perch on 2.5” or 4”.

7A3CCDD9-0943-4A0C-A0AD-E44AF9AD6D74.jpeg

Put second coat of Behr granite grip on floor this a.m.
Will have to wait a month to do new concrete.
Should make floor nice for cleaning.

138B8A34-8B55-4BBC-AD02-88AFABDD7B46.jpeg

So on to the build on Monday !!!

Yes that propane heater has been running from 7am until 2am

We have whole room tarped so even in single digit weather is warm

Is going to 40’s today and 50’s tomorrow so heater is making me sweat.

Did you look at new drawing? Does it make more sense?

It is and removed leg supports. Replaced with brackets. Lowered down several reducing total height. Assuming this will work or that I’m way over thinking it.
I meant to remove supports between roost and board, not under board.
Larger board is 7' long. Click on pic for more pics, including board supports.

Back
Top Bottom