Building on a slope

jehaz

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Music City - Nashville Tennessee
Hi,

I am building a chicken run that is 16x24. ( comprised of 3x2 8ft panels)
The problem is the 16' sides have to go on a slope that is 2' per 16'.

So here are my options:

- Use a tiller to flatten the earth, meaning a lot of work and a 2' retaining wall/steeper slope required.

- Have the whole structure level, with one end sticking up in the air on piers/stilts.
Will mean it is 2ft higher at that end and will need to figure out how to seal the gap along the ground.

- Stagger the Side panels, so that every 8ft, one end is in the air on a pier, but the next panel starts back on the ground.
Fill in the mini wedge-shaped gaps along the ground with ceder

- Build the panels so that the horizontal beams actually run in parrelel to the ground, but the verticals are still straight up and thus not 90 degress to the horizontals.

Any thoughts on what I should do, and what other people have done?

thanks!
James

Last edited:
I have a slope problem, too, and have been tossing similar things around in my head. I need to watch this thread for answers.
pop.gif

Quote: Will mean it is 2ft higher at that end and will need to figure out how to seal the gap along the ground.

Instead of building "panels" and setting them on piers, just use posts of different lengths

Run your wire level at the top, then cut angled strips as needed to fill in the bottom, and either attach them with "J-Clips" or Hog Rings, or run horizontal boards between the posts to staple the joints.

If you cut the strips wide enough, you can bend them to form an apron to stop digging too

Hi,

I built my coop in an existing shed and was forced to then build the run on a slope. The run has been in place for two years. 4 x 4 treated posts were sunk and then skirted by 2x10 and 2x12 treated lumber. The slope drops close about a foot every three feet out from the shed. Every situation is different but maybe this is an idea. Good luck.

There was a recent build that had a run stepped down a slope...sorry can't remember what it was called.

Quote: Will mean it is 2ft higher at that end and will need to figure out how to seal the gap along the ground.

Instead of building "panels" and setting them on piers, just use posts of different lengths

Run your wire level at the top, then cut angled strips as needed to fill in the bottom, and either attach them with "J-Clips" or Hog Rings, or run horizontal boards between the posts to staple the joints.

If you cut the strips wide enough, you can bend them to form an apron to stop digging too

Hi,

I built my coop in an existing shed and was forced to then build the run on a slope. The run has been in place for two years. 4 x 4 treated posts were sunk and then skirted by 2x10 and 2x12 treated lumber. The slope drops close about a foot every three feet out from the shed. Every situation is different but maybe this is an idea. Good luck.

I was going to use panels also. I am trying to avoid having to dig and level the posts, but I guess I could use a water level. It certainly would save on wood and would probably be faster.

Did either of you use cement to anchor the posts?

Last edited:
I used a bag per post MoonShadows. I placed the posts below the frost line and poured a bag in each hole. Part of the reason I did was simply out of concern for the pressure that the fill material in the run would put on the 'boxed' area of the run. Two years later there is no movement of the posts and no rotting.

Our coop is built on a slope as well. Heck, most of our land is sloped downhill which can be a pain at times. My hubby used 4 x 4 x 8' posts, dug them down about 2 ft. on the low side and about 15 " on the higher side. We used cement in all the holes. We also have a shelf rock problem on our property so digging usually reveals lots of surprises, like rocks!!!

Anyway, he then used 6 x 2's to level up the bottom to put in the flooring. He did an awesome job because the coop is level, walls, flooring, etc. So on one side we have maybe 6" of clearance and on the sloped side we have maybe 2ft. The critters like it because they go underneath an chill out. Dogs enjoy it as well for the same reason. My teenage son seems to think it's fun to go under and commune with the chicken, etc.

I'm not a builder but I think he did an awesome job.

Back
Top Bottom