Building our first Coop from scratch. How steep can the ramp into the coop be?

CharityDunlap

Hatching
7 Years
May 10, 2012
Hi BYC world!! We have purchased 10 Buff babies about 3 weeks old as new chicks. This is our first chicken experience. I have wanted chickens ever since we bought our old farmhouse on 3.25 acres 5 years ago. I researched breeds, and the Orps seem to be the best fit for us. My husband is quite handy, and is building our hen house as we speak. He is not following plans, as we had in mind how we wanted it to look & function. We decided on a coop above a run. So there are two levels, the bottom inclosed in hardware cloth to protect from predators, then the upper level where the coop is. So...my question is this...we don't have a pop door, it's just a hole in the floor with a ramp up to it. In order to keep the ladies safe it's all inside the safety of the run. Can the Orps handle a steeper ramp? The coop is 4 ft off the ground. Hubby has created a ramp with 1x2 slats going across. Sorry for the length!! :) We are super excited, and want to make a nice home for our new friends! Not sure of the actual angle of the ramp, but hopefully someone can tell me if we're ok...or if we need to get more creative with the ramp design so they can manage it. Thanks in advance!!

I would not go any steeper than 45 degrees. My BO's struggled with the 45 degrees for a bit but had some Hamburgh's that were much more agile and seemed to jump/fly half way up the ramp. :)

Back
Top Bottom