Bullied Chicken! What do I do?

ChickenOwner2313

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Today when I went out to our chicken coop, there was one of our hens huddling in the corner, I was sure she was dead because she wasn't moving, so I tried to pull her out, but the second I touched her she jumped up and started running away. The second she got her head out of the corner the rest of the chickens started chasing her and pecking her on the head and all over! She then ran to the other corner and stuck her head in it. The thing is, is that she has a cut around her crown, so my sister thinks it was cut, not pecked, and it almost looks like it was cut with a knife, but she thinks that maybe a predator got in, or something.
A few weeks ago one of our chickens got stuck behind our feeder, and when we found her, she couldn't walk, her legs were stiff, and she died that night. We think maybe the same thing happened? what do you think? I don't know what to do about it!

I would separate her in a dog crate with her own food and water, but in plain site of the flock. During times when you can be there, let her out and watch the behavior to spot any particular bullies. Then separate those away from the flock for a week or more. Check her out well, put some BluKote on her cut to hide it. If it is deep, it may need plain neosporing ointment instead until it heals some.

She could have cut herself on something, and the others are seeing the wound and going after it like they tend to do. You could also try some BluKote on it.

If you can spot the biggest bullies and separate them out of the flock until the cut girl heals and gets back into the flock, then the bullies have to re establish themselves. They usually lose status and stop being bullies. You could also bully them when you are out there. See BeeKissed's thread on breaking a bully.

I would separate her in a dog crate with her own food and water, but in plain site of the flock. During times when you can be there, let her out and watch the behavior to spot any particular bullies. Then separate those away from the flock for a week or more. Check her out well, put some BluKote on her cut to hide it. If it is deep, it may need plain neosporing ointment instead until it heals some.
Okay, we just put her in a dog crate in the coop after being in a separate coop for a day.

You may want to feed her a bit of egg or tuna for extra protein, and crush 1/2 of a vitamin B complex tablet into some food daily.

Back
Top Bottom