ReiK

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
Philippines
Hi,

i have 3 chicks from the hatchery last May 17. 2 were male and 1 was female. One male last week had a bloody diarrhea and i treated them all with Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole. They are on day 4 of treatment, tomorrow will be their last day. For the first two days of treatment, the male is quite lethargic. On the third day (yesterday), gladly he recovered fully and was active. i noticed yesterday he started picking on the feathers of his other two companions. On the leg feather, on the chest crop portion, etc. some feathers were pulled off and comes with it little bleed from the shafts of the feathers. I started separating him putting a plywood division at night time. At daytime, i allow him to mingle fully again with the other two under full supervision. He still does that once in a while, so i again repeat the night separation. I am wondering if i can just completely separate him from the other two in a different cage? I want him to be with another but he pecks both of the two. I don’t want to keep stressing them on the nighttime catch for them to be separated. Please help. I don’t want it to reach a serious injury.

Are they under heat lamp? Red ones?
They are under heat lamp yellow light emitted. only at night where it can get cold. during day time, powered off. I tried using the ceramic heat no light but it is scary as it smells like burning and you can see smoke coming out, so removed and never did used it again.

Last edited:
Not sure if you can get red colored heat bulbs, but the red color is supposed to help mask the color of blood which might help in this case.

Otherwise if the bully persists in picking on the others, I would separate it (but keep it in eyesight of the others, so another cage next to the first or a wire divider) for longer periods of time to hopefully break the behavior.

Not sure if you can get red colored heat bulbs, but the red color is supposed to help mask the color of blood which might help in this case.

Otherwise if the bully persists in picking on the others, I would separate it (but keep it in eyesight of the others, so another cage next to the first or a wire divider) for longer periods of time to hopefully break the behavior.
Will try to separate them. As it is hard or idk where to look for red bulb. Haven't seen here in any store.

I don't know what the issue is. But all of a sudden every youngster chick are having pecking and bullying problem now.
The 3 chicks (dob: May 17) inside the brooder cage.
The 7 chicks (dob: May 23-27) inside a cage with mother.
The 4 chicks (dob: April 20-26) weaned already outdoor.

The only group of chicks not yet observed with fighting is the 4chicks with a mother hen (dob: May 20-23)

I am so much in lack of cages to separate them

Hmm what breeds are these chicks, do you know? It almost sounds like you have game birds or some other breed that's more fight prone.

Can you post photos of your set up? Or at least a very detailed description of your set ups with measurements (including brooder, coop(s), run). Crowding certainly could be a factor, as that's a lot of chicks of different ages suddenly being added in.

Hmm what breeds are these chicks, do you know? It almost sounds like you have game birds or some other breed that's more fight prone.

Can you post photos of your set up? Or at least a very detailed description of your set ups with measurements (including brooder, coop(s), run). Crowding certainly could be a factor, as that's a lot of chicks of different ages suddenly being added in.
These 2 photos are the hen with 7 chicks. The other photo i separated now the three chicks with the bald and wound at their back near its tails.

Attachments

• 20210615_140056.jpg
    20210615_140056.jpg
    843.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210615_140104.jpg
    20210615_140104.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
You will need to get rid of the males before maturity anyways....
Also, try giving them some just straight protein.

Back
Top Bottom