bumble foot??? help!!

avawest7

Hatching
Oct 23, 2020
We’ve had our 3 pekin ducks since april and it appears we’re doing everything backwards and by that i mean learning. I’m ashamed to say it but i just learned about bumble feet. We have 2 boys and 1 girl. Could anyone help see if this is bumble feet? And if it is, what do we do? Or if it’s just calluses, does that come with any risks?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 12
That is bumble foot. As for treating it, soaking in Epsom salt baths helps, but this one looks extensive. The scab will need to be removed and any infection or debris underneath cleaned out.

That is bumble foot. As for treating it, soaking in Epsom salt baths helps, but this one looks extensive. The scab will need to be removed and any infection or debris underneath cleaned out.

Okay thank you. would you happen to know just exactly how we would do that? I’m sorry it’s okay if you don’t i can research.

Okay thank you. would you happen to know just exactly how we would do that? I’m sorry it’s okay if you don’t i can research.
No problem at all! I'm here to help. Two people are needed, preferably. One will hold the duck with a towel, wings pinned down, so the second person can access the feet easily. Before doing this, soak the foot in a Epsom salt bath to soften the scab. Try to keep the duck from drinking it, if possible. Do the bath for at least 10 minutes. Then, get into the position described above. The scab needs to be taken off. You can use your fingers, tweezers, whatever works best. After the scab is off, flush it using a syringe with clean water. Whatever doesn't come out after flushing a few times needs to be removed. Flush after removing everything. You can use peroxide to the last time. Do you have any ointments? Triple antibiotic or Neosporin without pain reliever work well. If you don't have those, let me know. Whatever ointment you end up using, needs to be put on the wound and the duck needs to be kept somewhere clean, preferably indoors or somewhere that has a layer of bedding or something so it isn't directly in the dirt, at least not right after cleaning out the bumble. Let me know if you have any questions, or need anymore help.

No problem at all! I'm here to help. Two people are needed, preferably. One will hold the duck with a towel, wings pinned down, so the second person can access the feet easily. Before doing this, soak the foot in a Epsom salt bath to soften the scab. Try to keep the duck from drinking it, if possible. Do the bath for at least 10 minutes. Then, get into the position described above. The scab needs to be taken off. You can use your fingers, tweezers, whatever works best. After the scab is off, flush it using a syringe with clean water. Whatever doesn't come out after flushing a few times needs to be removed. Flush after removing everything. You can use peroxide to the last time. Do you have any ointments? Triple antibiotic or Neosporin without pain reliever work well. If you don't have those, let me know. Whatever ointment you end up using, needs to be put on the wound and the duck needs to be kept somewhere clean, preferably indoors or somewhere that has a layer of bedding or something so it isn't directly in the dirt, at least not right after cleaning out the bumble. Let me know if you have any questions, or need anymore help.

thank you so much. this was an incredible help. i’ll update after the cleaning.

I am assuming ducks would have a similar course of treatment to chickens. I have used the below link as a guide. My chickens cases haven't been as bad as your duck, so I haven't had to cut anything out yet. If the link makes you uncomfortable, then maybe a vet. You might need antibiotics too.

There are YouTube videos on duck bumblefoot and how to wrap up the foot.

Good luck.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

How'd it go?

Okay so we are getting all of our things ready, and we are going to do it tomorrow. I've been doing tons of research, and we think what were going to do is to soak it like you said and pick it out, but my one question is how do you know when the whole "infection" is out? Also on the ducks feet in the photos, is the only infected part the black? Or are the bumps on their toes infected to?

Okay so we are getting all of our things ready, and we are going to do it tomorrow. I've been doing tons of research, and we think what were going to do is to soak it like you said and pick it out, but my one question is how do you know when the whole "infection" is out? Also on the ducks feet in the photos, is the only infected part the black? Or are the bumps on their toes infected to?
The black part is the infected bumble foot part. You know when the infection is out because you will only see clean, healthy skin. You can take pics after cleaning it if you need help.

The black part is the infected bumble foot part. You know when the infection is out because you will only see clean, healthy skin. You can take pics after cleaning it if you need help.

Okay thank you. You have been my biggest help with this whole thing and I thank you for the fast replies and educated answers. I can't wait to help my babies.

Back
Top Bottom