Bumble Foot story

Melky

Spring has sprung!
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
Ok. I just had to share. I discovered my hen Sophia had bumble foot. It’s a long story but we put drainage pipes with river rock around it and sand in the covered attached run first of spring to alleviate wet swampy run. Needless to say the hens turned over the sand with rock exposed. My hens scratch n peck to China. It was like the Grand Canyon. Needless to say I am now removing all river rock as exposed thinking jumping from roosts and landing or walking on this could cause bumble foot. I regraded and put soft mulch in. I was using Epsom salt soaks with veterycin spray appeared not much change. I completed I & D tonight after soaking site and utensils with betadine. I foot soaked again with epsom salt, applied triple antibiotic ointment, and A&D ointment. Appears like black corn removed with white pus beneath. Not too deep. Tissue now healthy pink. Applied gauze and vet wrap. Sophia tolerated well cuddled in arms. Purple looks good with her red. Anything else to do besides no more rock in run?
11522F5A-6530-4A72-8ED6-B07F7825DD81.jpeg

:confused:Sophia left wrap on slightly less than 24 hours. Resoaked scrubbed with betadine and applied triple abx ointment with A& D ointment topper. Wrapped with gauze and vet wrap again. This time split end of vet wrap and tied in knot ends around leg so hopefully will keep dressing on. Still laying and running around as normal. All healthy tissue in appearance. Sophia is now my nightly ritual after work. She seems not too bothered by the whole affair. :p

Back
Top Bottom