Bumble Foot, will it require surgery?

I have no experience with bumblefoot but reading about and looking st pictures of it on this site...I just honestly don't know what those bump things are besides alarming. I'm sorry
And it does look like mild scaly mites...I'd check the other birds too and treat

I agree, I see some slightly raised scales that could be Scaly Leg Mite.

I have never seen a foot pad look so dry and rough. What type of bedding is your rooster on?

I would soak the feet in warm epsom salts for 15-20mins, dry well and apply something like Nu Stock to the whole foot. Wrap over night and see if that softens the foot a little so you can get a better look at it. Nu Stock applied to the legs a few times a week should also take care of the SLM.

Previously he was on mostly dirt, with some straw. Right now he is on straw, but he spends most of his time on some dirt and my lawn. So the NU stock will help with the SLM, will that also help with the swollen part of his foot? I'm still wondering as to what is causing the swelling. I'll start treatment of the SLM tomorrow.

Swelling of the foot/infection would be technically classified as Bumblefoot.

I see no scabbing at this time where you would be able to get the kernel out. Your goal for the next couple of days would be to soften and heal the foot to see if the swelling will reduce. Also one 15minute soak a day is sufficient.

If you have a vet that can prescribe antibiotics that would be good too.

I have diagnosed bumble foot in one of my Roosters. He had been limping for a while and every time I would check his foot, his foot looked normal. Until I realized two of his toes were swollen. Here is some basic information on him.

- Species: Golden Laced Wyandotte
- Weight: about 4-6 pounds (He seems to be underweight)

His behavior seems normal, he used to be a lot heavier before I sold off one of the other Golden Laced Wyandotte Roosters, but that was about 6 or 8 months ago. He just kinda avoids using his left foot. Two of his toes are swollen. I diagnosed bumble foot on him, and followed the following treatment.

- Soaked his foot in Epsom salt and water for about 20- 40 mins, with breaks about every 15 to 10 minutes.
- Attempted to take off the black scab the developed on his toe.
- Finally removed the scab, BUT it appears to have healed, with no sight of blood or an open wound.

~ The Rooster liked the bath, but after the removing the scab, it appears everything was okay, but the swollen-ness hasn't gone away. I have separated him and cleaned the area.
Do read posts here on bumble foot. Chicken pus is actually quite solid. I have had some success with soaking, then applying antibiotic cream and wrapping for a few days. If that doesn't work then surgery may be in order. There are great instructions elsewhere on this site. Good luck.

So my question is should I attempt a surgery, as possibly puss could be causing the swollen-ness. The rooster eats well and moves around, but I can tell it bothers him, and I want him to be at his 100%. If surgery is needed, how should I perform it? Should I poke it with a needle then take the puss out(if any).
View attachment 1429082

So in this diagram, around bones 2 and 3 is swollen. While the actual black scab was around bone 1. He avoids digging with this foot and attempts to put most of the weight on his other foot. He still walks around and does his activities, but this bothers him and causes him pain.

I'll post pictures of his actual foot tomorrow, as right now it's night time as I'm writing this.

I wrote a long reply but it disappeared. I have had some success with soaking, then applying antibiotic cream and wrapping for a few days. If that doesn't work, then you could do surgery. There are great posts and videos on this site. Remember, chicken pus is quite solid, so you can't just puncture and squeeze out. Good luck!

Excellent photos! I'd absolutely do the Epsom salt soaking and I would try the Prid (under a wrap) after that - it's more localized than I was picturing- so it might help bring the source of the swelling to a head without cutting. That might help soften it up the pad- it does have ichammolo, sulphur, and beeswax in it as well as draw whatever is causing the swelling to the surface.

Also, if it's scaly mites, here's a good article:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. I have been soaking his feet, but he usually just tries to get out. I'll do the PRID as I just ordered it and it will take a while to get here. Also I will wrap his foot to prevent further infection. I also did remove him from the other chickens, it's been 3 days now. I have him in a dog cage and I let him free on my lawn when the sun calms down a bit. Hopefully he gets better soon with all the special treatment.

Back
Top Bottom