Bumble foot

Harveyhomestead

Chirping
Apr 7, 2019
I have a female duck with bumble foot. I’ve taken her to the vet and was given antibiotics for her. She’s been on them for a week. But the swelling has not gone down. Does anyone have any advice on how to treat it homeopathically?
The vet was concerned that she was on her feet too much. I told her that khaki Campbell’s don’t like to swim very much. They get in the water, preen a little, and get out.

Is the swelling in the joint? I would be attacking it from the outside too with antiseptic like iodine or vetricyn. Be sure to finish the antibiotics no matter what.
Yes it is at the ankle joint... I will look into getting an antiseptic or iodine as well... thank you!

We have always continued the soaks and worked from the outside in when dealing with bumblefoot regardless of antibiotic. A picture would help, as things can go south pretty quick if infection gets into the joint.

Do you have a picture of the leg - what kind of antibiotic is she on?
I can’t remember the antibiotic name... I will check when I get home. But here are pictures of her leg and bottom of her flipper

Attachments

• CAE54538-2D12-4FAB-8004-3A0D119145EF.jpeg
    CAE54538-2D12-4FAB-8004-3A0D119145EF.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 12
  • C6DC87F5-F36D-472E-940E-D2344E694DDC.jpeg
    C6DC87F5-F36D-472E-940E-D2344E694DDC.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 12
Hard to tell the image if the ankle is infected. The scab on the bottom of the foot looks not too bad. If you have antibiotics, great start. If you don’t see improvement or if you see it getting worse, you may want to reconnect with your vet.

From the picture, it's hard to tell just how swelled the ankle is. There is minor bumblefoot development on the bottom of her foot, but I would be surprised if there any correlation with that in regards to the ankle swelling. If your vet believes the antibiotics will be helpful, you should continue with that, and hopefully, the swelling subsides. Infections of the leg are often difficult to treat and may require weeks' worth of antibiotics for complete recovery.

In addition with antimicrobial therapy, I would suggest soaking her feet in cool Epsom salt water to help reduce some of the swelling, and hopefully prevent further bumblefoot development on her feet. Additionally, B vitamins, water therapy, and ensuring her pen is cushioned well may prove beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom