Bumblefoot? 2 laying female pekins.

Kgriffith0712

Chirping
Feb 9, 2018
Yesterday I brought two of my year old female pekin ducks home. The first one was brought in home because I noticed she had a pretty bad limp and figured it may be a case of bumblefoot. The second one came home kind of for company for her but also because it's mating season in the males are tearing up the back of her head. I've been soaking the potential bumblefoot duck in epsom salt and was inspecting her feet today. I noticed that her middle toe appeared swollen and warm but she did not appear to have the bumbles that I have seen in a previous duck. So now I'm starting to wonder if it's actually bumblefoot or something different? It appears the center of her toe has a bulge so I don't know if that is a swollen joint or not. Secondly let's move on to the second duck. While I was inspecting the first one's foot my husband said it appeared the second one also had a swollen outside toe. But it was a similar situation the bottom of her foot looked okay but it was just the swollen toe.
I took some pictures but in wondering since this is our first mating season with ducks if they can have arthritis flare ups in their feet from being chased around so much??? or if both of these had a case of bumblefoot??. Again I've only seen one case of bumblefoot and one of my ducks in the bottom of her feet had black patches.
The first two pictures are the duck that has a swollen middle toe and the second two are the Ducks with the swollen outer toe . Do ducks get darker calluses on their feet? Any help is appreciated thank you.

Attachments

• 20180407_182206.jpg
    20180407_182206.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180407_182245.jpg
    20180407_182245.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180407_182223.jpg
    20180407_182223.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180407_182228.jpg
    20180407_182228.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 6
Since I last posted this, and was hoping to get more input, I have since taken the duck to the vet. The swelling is predominantly at the joint on her middle toe. The vet, who didn't seem to be really interested in waterfowl, prescribed her antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory (she was a "farm" vet that I hadnt been to before). She didn't think it was bumblefoot, which I didnt either. She said that ducks are prone to arthritis if an infection gets into their joints.
So, 3 days later, the swelling on her toe still doesn't seem to be greatly improving like I had hoped. When i squeeze/touch the swollen area, I feel something hard on the side of the joint... thinking maybe its broken?
So my question, if this is a broken bone, how long does it take for the swelling to go down? How long to bones take to heel? If its arthritis, how long should it take for the anti-inflammatory to work?

Thanks for any replies in advance. She is a wonderful little "chatty cathy" duck.

Back
Top Bottom