Bumblefoot gone bad

Yes 2 or 3 times a day you basically want to repeat the whole course 2 or 3 times a day. Hows it look today
It looks less angry today. I just soaked her for a little less than 15 minutes (that’s all she would tolerate), redid the sugar pack, and gave her another .5cc of penicillin. It still stinks really bad like rotting flesh. Should I leave it open to heal or cover it again?

It looks less angry today. I just soaked her for a little less than 15 minutes (that’s all she would tolerate), redid the sugar pack, and gave her another .5cc of penicillin. It still stinks really bad like rotting flesh. Should I leave it open to heal or cover it again?
I would wrap it at night. And then unwrap for morning soak let breath till mid soak and let breath and then soak and wrap up. Do you have pic for next time? I think your doing good. Keep at it 15 mins is fine if that's all she will let you

I would wrap it at night. And then unwrap for morning soak let breath till mid soak and let breath and then soak and wrap up. Do you have pic for next time? I think your doing good. Keep at it 15 mins is fine if that's all she will let you
I’ll try to get some more pics when I do her next soak. It honestly stinks so bad (and I’m a farm girl who has dealt with some pretty nasty stuff) that I try to get her doctored as quickly as possible. She is getting up on the roost, which is about 2 ft high so I feel like that’s a good sign. I did leave her unwrapped for now. I will wrap her back up this evening.

I’ll try to get some more pics when I do her next soak. It honestly stinks so bad (and I’m a farm girl who has dealt with some pretty nasty stuff) that I try to get her doctored as quickly as possible. She is getting up on the roost, which is about 2 ft high so I feel like that’s a good sign. I did leave her unwrapped for now. I will wrap her back up this evening.
Perfect...your doing great. I get what your sayin lol

I didn’t get any pics tonight because I didn’t have anyone to take pics and she’s way more feisty today. Will get some when my fiancé is home tomorrow to photograph. Lol

I think you are on the right track. I have had good results with sugardine on bumblefoot that would not respond to anything else. If the penicillin doesn't seem to help then clindamycin or cephalexin might be better, I've used both and both are available as fish antibiotics without RX. If you do the sugardine everyday, it may be enough. Here is one of my posts with more information, the bird in question had a tunnel through his foot from the bottom to his ankle at one point. See post #8 here for what I did: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-not-healing.1443809/#post-23973555
This may take some time, but if it's improving then it may eventually heal up. I kept it bandaged to help hold the sugardine in and to keep it clean. I did not leave it unbandaged until it was fully healed. Normally I advise against bandaging as it's better to let a wound breathe, but it's impossible to keep a chickens foot clean and dry. The duoderm bandages (in my post) help a lot and help keep the wound moist, I highly recommend them for this, and then covered with vet wrap or co wrap.

I think you are on the right track. I have had good results with sugardine on bumblefoot that would not respond to anything else. If the penicillin doesn't seem to help then clindamycin or cephalexin might be better, I've used both and both are available as fish antibiotics without RX. If you do the sugardine everyday, it may be enough. Here is one of my posts with more information, the bird in question had a tunnel through his foot from the bottom to his ankle at one point. See post #8 here for what I did: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-not-healing.1443809/#post-23973555
This may take some time, but if it's improving then it may eventually heal up. I kept it bandaged to help hold the sugardine in and to keep it clean. I did not leave it unbandaged until it was fully healed. Normally I advise against bandaging as it's better to let a wound breathe, but it's impossible to keep a chickens foot clean and dry. The duoderm bandages (in my post) help a lot and help keep the wound moist, I highly recommend them for this, and then covered with vet wrap or co wrap.
Yeah until the stink goes away I would let breath though right?

Thanks for the advice! I’ll take all the advice I can get at this point. I’ve never seen a wound this bad in any of my flock! At the very least, a learning experience and, at most, a life saving one:)

Back
Top Bottom