Bumblefoot in 3 out of 4 chickens...

amberu

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 11, 2010
I have a flock of 4 hens that are 1yr old. My son was holding one this morning and I noticed a small black scab on her foot..then we started checking the rest of them. 3 out of the 4 have the black scabs on each foot. They are small scabs with no swelling. I was wondering if I should get antibiotics for them or try the Neocide 3 soaks since they are not a bad case yet. I did a epson salt soak on them to make sure that it was indeed a scab, and sure enough it is. I guess I am just hoping for some advice for a newbie chicken owner
smile.png

I wouldnt do anything. Sometimes the scabs go away on their own from my personal experience. To conduct minor surgery would be a waste of time and stressful for the chicken, there isnt any infection. I wouldnt purchase the tricide neo neither, save your money. However, if one of them starts limping, or there's redness around the scab and/or swelling...then you should conduct surgery or use the tricide neo.

What are the conditions on the ground they spend their time on, any kind of thorny weed or goatheads................ thing's like that.

Back
Top Bottom