Bumblefoot in quail - scab removal question

holbytla

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2023
This is my first time dealing with bumblefoot, so I'm following directions as laid out in another thread. Compared to other pictures I've seen, though, this infection seems MASSIVE and I don't know how much I can take off at a time, even after the 20 minute Epsom soak. Should I try to get it all off in one go, regardless of whether it bleeds? There's a chunk hanging off of one side by only a bit of live flesh; should I cut it off? Should I just chip away at it bit by bit?
20231023_174909.jpg

I would work on it bit by bit, it may take several attempts over several days. Try not to damage healthy tissue. If the bird is getting stressed, give it a break. You can also try applying decolorized iodine (not the same as betadine, any decent sized pharmacy should have it in the first aid section) to the lesion and wrapping it over night. That helps soften it up also.

After two days of scraping, we've removed most of the dead bits, and our hen has gotten more energetic and wiggly, which we're happy about. How do I know when we're done removing the infection? From here can we just replace the wrap daily, or does this clearly need more work? Thank you so much for all of your expertise!
20231025_143509.jpg

That has to feel a lot better! I would apply your ointment daily, and rewrap until it looks like it's healing well. Then you can do less often, every foot is a little bit different. Sometimes if any small bits are missed it may start to regenerate and you have to clean it out again, but it shouldn't be as bad as you will be watching it and get it earlier. The upper edge in the picture looks like there might still be some pus there, but it's very hard to tell in a picture, it also may just be the edges of tissue. Any tissue that looks darkened may die off, sometimes it will come off on it's own, sometimes you have to remove it (debriding) in order for it to heal. That same tissue can sometimes still harbor the bacteria. I've found with really bad bumblefoot, the cleaner the edges are, the better it tends to do.

Wanted to report that all of the dead skin has fallen away and the quail's foot is fully healed as of yesterday! Thank you for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom