Bumblefoot, New Ideas on Treatment with pictures

Bumblefoot in chickens is usually caused from jumping off roosts or can be a result of rough wood on roosts(i sand down all my roosts). Unfortunately sometimes surgery has to be performed on bumblefoot. Definitely try other methods first,but if they do not work then surgery has to be done,otherwise staph infection will spread. Removing the pus can be a challenge due to the fact that it forms a hard core,in other animals it is fluid like.

I used manuka oil on mine. she didnt have the spot but the swelling and heat plus limping. cleared it right up in 3 days :)
Good for you! I have no idea what the Manuka oil is, but if it worked...great!!!! I am for anything that takes the pain and upset out of treating these. Birds have enough to worry about without us picking and prodding.

This morning I found my duck limping and when u checked her foot it looked like bumble foot to me. I've been putting neosporin on it today while reading up on what to do.

Maybe I just missed where you explained this. If so, sorry for the stupid question. But did you soak her foot and then PEEL THE SCAB before applying iodine? Or just apply iodine over and around the scab? Iodine is a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it before I saw this.

This morning I found my duck limping and when u checked her foot it looked like bumble foot to me. I've been putting neosporin on it today while reading up on what to do.

Maybe I just missed where you explained this. If so, sorry for the stupid question. But did you soak her foot and then PEEL THE SCAB before applying iodine? Or just apply iodine over and around the scab? Iodine is a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it before I saw this.

The first time I found the bumbles, I put the bird into the tub to clean and soak. I gave her a good while in there as she was enjoying herself and i was in the middle of things here. There was no time to do anything for her foot that day as I already knew that I would have to cut it out, so I painted her with decolorized iodine and put her into a dog crate I had set up for her. I did not peel the scab that first day.

How are the ducks getting bumblefoot?
They can get Bumbles from scratches, puntures, rubs, etc.. In a lot of cases, you never can figure out why. Staph is the usual cause of the infections and is something found everywhere in the enviroment and also on their skin, as well as our own. Why do some of the scratches we get just go away with no treatment and others need help? For all O know it may be a case of their immune system being at a max or a min at the time.

Haunted55 Thank you for sharing this method. Its great to know! I will have to get colorless iodine for my first aid kit. Can you buy it at a regular pharmacy ? I've only seen iodine with color. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Would a place like rite aide or Walmart carry it? Thanks

Haunted55 Thank you for sharing this method. Its great to know! I will have to get colorless iodine for my first aid kit. Can you buy it at a regular pharmacy ? I've only seen iodine with color. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Would a place like rite aide or Walmart carry it? Thanks
WalMart is where I found mine. Now a side note here...for chickens, the treatment times are different. Instead of the 4-6 days in between for ducks and geese, you need to apply the treatment on checken and other scaled fowl, every 3-4 days, the 3rd being the best for a bad infection. Remember, this isn't the shortest route, but I believe the easiest for you and your bird.

Back
Top Bottom