Bumblefoot - soft white tissue under the hard yellow

Henfla

Songster
Apr 29, 2022
Tromsø, Norway
Hello! Yesterday I noticed that one of my chickens had bumblefoot under both of her feet. She doen't limp (maybe because both of her feet was hurting) or have severe swelling, but it's a bit swollen and one of them was worse than the other. It was a brown scab that I removed two days ago after soaking her feet for a while and then I applied some antibiotic ointment and medical honey, and today I removed a lot of the yellow hard stuff. Underneath there was some white soft tissue, and I can not remove that because she starts bleeding if I mess around too much, and also it seems to be painful to her (even though I gave her meloxicam). Since I have managed to remove some of the hard yellow stuff, some of the ointment reaches her healthy tissue and I was wondering if I can just let it be for now without removing anything more? Ofcourse I will change the dressing daily and clean the wounds and apply more ointment.

I can post a picture tomorrow when I change the dressing if needed.

Can you describe the ‘white soft tissue’ a bit more? Chicken pus (especially in bumblefoot) is thick and white. A little like cheese. That might be it. Oh, and pictures are great!

Can you describe the ‘white soft tissue’ a bit more? Chicken pus (especially in bumblefoot) is thick and white. A little like cheese. That might be it. Oh, and pictures are great!
Yes, I will say it's thick and white like cream cheese, but it doesn't come out when I try to massage around the wound. There was one white string also coming out from one of the feet, and when I pulled that out it started bleeding alot.

Yes, I will say it's thick and white like cream cheese, but it doesn't come out when I try to massage around the wound. There was one white string also coming out from one of the feet, and when I pulled that out it started bleeding alot.
I’m sorry. That sounds rough. When you massage the foot, can you feel the bumblefoot kernel? And what is the string like? Is it like floss, or string cheese (mu
mind is really on cheese today)? And are there any more scabs, and have you done an Epsom bath yet? Sorry for all the questions.

I’m sorry. That sounds rough. When you massage the foot, can you feel the bumblefoot kernel? And what is the string like? Is it like floss, or string cheese (mu
mind is really on cheese today)? And are there any more scabs, and have you done an Epsom bath yet? Sorry for all the questions.
No, I could not feel any kernel inside. The string was like a floss. There are no more scabs now. I don't have epsom salt, so I had to improvise and I gave her a bath with himalayan bathing salt yesterday and also I have been using this soap that we use here for wound infections (I think it's like what you call pine sol, but for wounds) yesterday and today for like 20 minutes.

No, I could not feel any kernel inside. The string was like a floss. There are no more scabs now. I don't have epsom salt, so I had to improvise and I gave her a bath with himalayan bathing salt yesterday and also I have been using this soap that we use here for wound infections (I think it's like what you call pine sol, but for wounds) yesterday and today for like 20 minutes.
Hmmm. I’ve never heard of substituting other salts for epsom, and the foot-string is quite odd. The fact that there aren’t any scabs or kernels should be a good sign. I would recommend trying to squeeze out the pus, but that sounds like it’s painful and causes bleeding. I’ve really never heard of bumblefoot like this.
@nuthatched, @TheOddOneOut, can you help? I’m afraid my attempt at education has failed.

Hmmm. I’ve never heard of substituting other salts for epsom, and the foot-string is quite odd. The fact that there aren’t any scabs or kernels should be a good sign. I would recommend trying to squeeze out the pus, but that sounds like it’s painful and causes bleeding. I’ve really never heard of bumblefoot like this.
@nuthatched, @TheOddOneOut, can you help? I’m afraid my attempt at education has failed.
I'm not sure what the white flesh could be, I've only had one case of bumble foot.

I have changed the dressings today and took some photos. The white soft stuff was not particulary visible today, but I can see a little bit of it on the last picture. This is both her feet. The black stuff in the middle on the first photo is dried blood I think from yesterday. The yellow hard stuff is like impossible to remove even after soaking her feet for 10 minutes, and it starts bleeding if I try to dig in there.
20230605_112707.jpg

20230605_111849.jpg

Back
Top Bottom