Bumblefoot surgery Update - RIP Duckie :(

Tbird84

Crowing
10 Years
May 16, 2010
Arab, AL
I have a black Swedish duck that was included with my chocolate muscovies as a 'mystery duck' when I got them. Well, I looked at his feet and...well, I thought bumblefoot at first. Though there is not really a scab so much as more of a callous with a 'seedy' texture. Hope that makes some kind of sense. I just want to make sure what it is before I go cutting and digging.
57681_securedownload8.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe if you edit your title to say "with pic" you might get a better response. I myself would say it looks like it, but have never experienced it, so I don't know for sure. Hope someone can help!!

From what I can see it appears to be bumblefoot. That looks like a good size one, but it may be the picture (sometimes closer objects appear larger).

I am very cautious about cutting into feet - actually have not tried that. I have been able to catch bumblefoot very early so that all I have had to do is clean and apply triple antibiotic. After a few weeks, it's gone.

The insides, from what I have read, are not watery, or easy to drain.

Perhaps some people with more experience with more advanced cases can advise you.

Could you check with a vet? Cutting open a foot increases the risk of infection. But leaving a bumble alone can also lead to more trouble. I just don't know if it is far enough along to justify cutting it open, or if some epsom salt soaks and antibiotic would do it. In any case, it takes a while. Try not to lose patience.

Poor little duck.

Until you are sure, I would start with some soaking and cleaning and antibiotic ointment. You don't want the duck to drink the epsom salts water, so a compress would make more sense.

I have looked at most everything I can find, but I am one of those that wants to know for SURE before I cut. My dad had a sayin', measure twice cut once. Not measuring anything here, but I only want to cut once.
wink.png
They are pretty big. He has one on the other foot too. I just know my other ducks don't have it. This didn't look like a simple open it up and scoop out the gunk. I'll try to get a better pic. Good thing he is so calm and some what tame.

I appreciate it guys. He doesn't even have his drake curl yet and looks like this.
sad.png
He has been in my spare bath tub most of the afternoon soaking his feet in warm water. He really liked that. He doesn't seem to have trouble walking, but I have had him in a dog kennel so I can keep an eye on him. So, haven't gotten a full view of his gait. And to my knowledge we only have one farm vet even close, and I don't believe they do bird. I recently had to put my horse down, so vet fees are a no. I have antibiotics. That's not a problem, just hope to be able to do this without using them.

I got a few better pics for you all.
57681_securedownload9.jpg

57681_securedownload10.jpg

57681_securedownload11.jpg

Last edited:
that is very informative! There seemed to be alot of stuff about bumblefoot but nothing documenting with pics as they went. Thanks!
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom