bumblefoot-update 8-23

Double cr*p. Now the three of them have one on each foot! It must have been from the edge of that 2 x 2 that wasn't meant to be a roost bar.
Does anyone have a good way of bandaging a foot that keeps it clean and won't come off?

Slather the whole foot in triple antibiotic, then wrap with clean cotton gauze. Then finish by wrapping the gauze area in vet wrap or similar clinging bandage. If your chickens are outside, you will need to change the whole setup everyday to keep dirt out of the wound.

Antibiotic would not hurt, either.

seminole - I would highly encourage an antiobiotic in this case. Once you lance the foot, risk of infection increases. Pen G injectible works really well for this.

Jody

Quote:
I'm going to get some today. One chicken has a lanceable bulge again. So , abx are needed I think. Does anyone know the dose in units, and how many days?

This really confuses me. My hens roost about 4 1/2 feet up unless they are in the rafters! I've never even heard of BF till I was taking care of somebody's turkey recently.

There are so many strange things to watch out for!
idunno.gif

Quote:
Speckled Hen!!!!!!!!!! I looked everywhere for Pen G, and all I could find was Pro-Pen G, which has Procaine in it, which is a caine!!!.

So anyone out there who is going to get Penicillin G, do not buy Pro-Pen, it will kill your chicken.

Back
Top Bottom