bumblefoot-update 8-23

Quote:
I'm going to get some today. One chicken has a lanceable bulge again. So , abx are needed I think. Does anyone know the dose in units, and how many days?

Well couldn't find Pen G without procaine, so I ended up with Albon, which is good for cows with foot rot.

Last edited:
Quote:
SORRY Cynthia, I goofed. It's Albon, not Amprol. You're right about the Ampro.

It's Albon.
Albon is a sulfa-something or other. It does kill strep and staph, and pneumonia. I think they do use it for cocci. But it's also an antibiotic as far as I know.

Last edited:
Quote:
I did research it when I got home with the big pill, and they do sell it for chickens. At least I found something. I would have preferred the Pen G- maybe I'll order some anyway just in case.

Quote:
Speckled Hen!!!!!!!!!! I looked everywhere for Pen G, and all I could find was Pro-Pen G, which has Procaine in it, which is a caine!!!.

So anyone out there who is going to get Penicillin G, do not buy Pro-Pen, it will kill your chicken.

Why will a "caine" harm a chicken?

I wish I could add something helpful here but I'm sure learning a lot
reading about your plight.

Sorry seminole. I just got back here to this. I don't know if the Albon will work. Order the Pen G from First State Vet. I think it's a bit expensive, but can be kept in the refrig for some time and great to have on hand for cases like this.

If I recall correctly, it is 1 cc in the breast once per day for 5 days, but the instructions come with it. Make sure to alternate where you give the injection, as it will make it very sore. It is recommended to inject the opposite breast muscle each day and a different location as well. Make sure to extract the plug, clean the area good for a couple days to make sure all the puss drains out. Once things start looking better, just leave the rest to the meds.

Jody

Thanks Jody. I am going to order the pen G because it seems that it is more trusted here, and there is limited or possibly conflicting info on Albon. Thanks .
Karen

Back
Top Bottom