Bumblefoot w/o scab, or something else?!

AzDuck

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Arizona
Hi BYC Family!

I went out this morning to let my ducks out for the day, and my khaki campbell girl was walking just (or so it seemed). Then, about ten minutes later after I came back from feeding our horses, she was severely limping, but still attempting to run with the rest of the flock. Her center toe on her left foot was very swollen, and the swelling was even visible from the top. I went to work and asked my husband to please take a photo of it once he got home (approx 2 hrs after) and he sent me this photo that is attached. The swell is down from when I saw her this morning, but it still looks not so great. She’s limping far less, but still a little tender. I don’t see any bumble scabs, and it’s very squishy. I squeezed it very gently this morning and nothing at all happened. Thoughts?

Thank you guys so much!

Attachments

• EA8B53DC-73BE-4526-BCB1-09351526F534.jpeg
    EA8B53DC-73BE-4526-BCB1-09351526F534.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 10
Looks like bumblefoot. Warm epsom compresses after a tub soak will start to bring whatever is in there to a head, then you can deal with removal. Meanwhile, take advantage of her still eating and drinking, and feed higher protein food and apple cider vinegar in her water. Invest in a pair of boots or a roll of vet tape, and a bottle of vetericyn, in case this progresses, and for the future.

Could also be a break. We once had a drake who had broken that same toe running from siblings and falling over things. He literally walked it off, but it was swollen like that for a while, then permanently bent after healing. He limped a little after, but was otherwise fine. Check the joint and bones. Otherwise, looks like the beginnings of bumblefoot.

Could also be a break. We once had a drake who had broken that same toe running from siblings and falling over things. He literally walked it off, but it was swollen like that for a while, then permanently bent after healing. He limped a little after, but was otherwise fine. Check the joint and bones. Otherwise, looks like the beginnings of bumblefoot.
Dang :( thank you. I have neoprene duck boots, colorless iodine, vetricyn, banixx and bacitracin that I keep on hand for something like this. She has the left foot in a boot right now with some antibiotic ointment smeared on the inside. I cleaned her foot off as well as I could before placing the boot with the iodine and banixx (since the banixx has a more pressurized stream than the vetricyn for cleaning). I gave her a bunch of extra meal worms with her Mazuri feed this morning too.
Also, I peeled a little piece of skin off of the middle toe while squeezing, and it does not appear to be staph currently, BUT, I think I do see an entry puncture from possibly a nasty sticker/thorn. I will soak her in some warm ES when I get home, but is there any drawing salve I can use to manipulate that foreign body out?

Back
Top Bottom