Bumblefoot??

CrazyChicken Lady

My Ducks are in a row🦆🦆🦆
May 25, 2020
Missouri
So my Pekin has had these two black dots on her feet in the exact same spot for a couple months. I wasn’t worried because she hasn’t been limping, swollen, or uncomfortable at all. Completely normal. She is a little over a year old. It this bumblefoot? And if it’s not why is there a Identical black callous on each foot? Thanks in advance.
20DE10BC-C9FC-4423-A24F-CC465FA02F71.jpeg
Sorry for the image quality. And I could only get a picture of one foot ( the other foot looks pretty much the same )

Yes that's bumble foot.
Treatment:
Read up about doing the surgery. That's if you are confident about doing it yourself, if not take her too the vet if possible. For the surgery I would recommend tweezers and cotton wool to mop up any blood that may come out. The infection is white and stringy usually, you want to try to get this and the kernel out.
Before the procedure do an Epson salt soak for at least 10 minutes (warm water). To soften the scab. For following days treatment re - rap every 24 hours. Complete an Epson salts soak for 10 minutes and a 1% beta-dine solution towel soak for at least 20 minutes. Before applying tipple antibiotic cream to a small square of gauze, put that on top and rap with vet rap. Keep this up until the new scab drops off, the new scab should be a light brown colour.

I am dealing with bumblefoot in one of my chickens. I feel horrible since I obsess over every little thing but somehow missed this (maybe for over a month or so). I am going to try and avoid surgery by doing the epsom salt soaks and using a drawing salve and then wrapping it. It takes much longer but I want to try that first. I think if you start treating now your duck has a great chance at healing. Hopefully someone who knows about ducks will be able to help guide you. I wish you all the best!

Bumble foot has many different looking appearances and stages. It may have no scab and no core. Or it could be really swollen. The cause is the foot being cut, and then the staph infection usually from droppings entering the wound. The other foot may not have been cut. For prevention remove everything sharp she may of come into contacts with. Such things may be a rough roost or stones, pebbles or even sharp bark in the run. Make sure that your roost is at least 2 by 4 inches to stop the feet curling and digging into each other.

Back
Top Bottom