Bumblefoot?

Fowl is Fair

Chirping
Aug 28, 2020
My poor, sweet Pekin, Annabelle, has a foot issue that never goes away. We noticed she was limping last spring and found that her foot pad was very swollen and had a rock hard scab about the size of a dime. We did all the usual bumblefoot things except cutting her foot open. We also gave her antibiotics. It got bettter but never went away. We treated it all summer.

She has started limping again, so I picked her up today and her foot looks exactly like it did last year.

The thing is, there never was any pus or plug. Just a hard, brownish black scab and a very swollen foot pad. There was / is some white marbling that comes out with tweezers. It is solid.

I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing for her.

The pics below are before and after pulling off the scab (which seems more like a callous than a scab.)
15B9F246-FADD-446C-9AE1-127C4EDC4D84.jpeg

Any thoughts are welcome.

Attachments

• C7ADA4BA-1AB3-490E-B419-5A110ECA75DD.jpeg
    C7ADA4BA-1AB3-490E-B419-5A110ECA75DD.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 16
@Fowl is Fair have you soaked her feet in warm Epsom saltwater? It really doesn't look like bumble under that scab. Maybe start soaking and using clear iodine and wrapping for a week and see if it makes any difference. If bumble there should be a kernel in there. Pus in waterfowl is thick like cottage cheese and yellowish. There are also booties for poultry
Crazy K Farms in Texas carries them.

@Fowl is Fair have you soaked her feet in warm Epsom saltwater? It really doesn't look like bumble under that scab. Maybe start soaking and using clear iodine and wrapping for a week and see if it makes any difference. If bumble there should be a kernel in there. Pus in waterfowl is thick like cottage cheese and yellowish. There are also booties for poultry
Crazy K Farms in Texas carries them.
We have soaked her foot in Epsom salts. It’s really weird! We don’t think it looks like a bumble either, and there’s never been any cottage cheese like pus. But it definitely makes her limp. I’ll check out booties. She is the best girl ever, and I don’t want to lose her or for her to suffer.

Thank you!

Just thinking out loud here but I wonder if we could use corn and callus remover which is salicylic acid like we use on our feet on our ducks? I'll see if I can find any info on it.

I didn't see an answer for it though when I looked online. But I did see where someone mentioned soaking the foot in apple cider vinegar to help soften the callus and fighting nasty bacteria. It was for humans but don't see where it would hurt poultry. I use ACV in my birds drinking water once in a while.

I didn't see an answer for it though when I looked online. But I did see where someone mentioned soaking the foot in apple cider vinegar to help soften the callus and fighting nasty bacteria. It was for humans but don't see where it would hurt poultry. I use ACV in my birds drinking water once in a while.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom