Bumblefoot?

NY433

Hatching
Apr 8, 2023
Hi, I have a pekin duck showing these signs. Could this be bumblefoot?
20230408_163215.jpg
20230408_163223.jpg

Actually those feet look good. In the first pic on the left looks like an overgrowth of skin [there is a name for it I just don't recall it] Keeping an eye on their feet is a good thing though since those little scabs could turn into bumble but for now just keep an eye on them.
:welcome

I agree with @Miss Lydia, they look good, maybe just a little dirt in the cracks. If you ever have an area of concern, you can use a toothbrush and give the area a little light scrub with colorless iodine a couple times a day. I've used this method to treat very small bumbles and it's effective.

This is what I found in the center of the foot a little over a week ago on my silver swedish girl. I soaked in Epsom salt less than a week ago and have been spraying with MicrocynAH one to two times a day to see how it goes. It's soft, not a hard dark scab but looks like the skin may've been broken at one point so if it was the beginning of it wanted to start treating. It doesn't look to have gotten any worse.

Attachments

• IMG_20231003_191022339.jpg
    IMG_20231003_191022339.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 4
If that was me I might try soaking and trying to pry off the scab with my fingernail, then packing with triple antibiotic ointment and bandaging and keeping it dry for a couple days. You could try just scrubbing it with a toothbrush dipped in colorless iodine a couple times a day and keeping her out of the water for twenty minutes or so afterwards. I would try that for no more than a week, and if it's not getting better, then try to pull the scab.

If that was me I might try soaking and trying to pry off the scab with my fingernail, then packing with triple antibiotic ointment and bandaging and keeping it dry for a couple days. You could try just scrubbing it with a toothbrush dipped in colorless iodine a couple times a day and keeping her out of the water for twenty minutes or so afterwards. I would try that for no more than a week, and if it's not getting better, then try to pull the scab.
Hi! What makes me unsure is that it's flush with her foot and the texture isn't any different, feels like her foot (soft and smooth, and hard) only discolored. It doesn't feel like there's anything to remove.

In your photo the scab looks to be on top of a swelling. If that's not the case, you can just keep an eye on it - maybe it's already healed - you have to go with your gut. Scrubbing it with the iodine is the least invasive thing. If there's any swelling at all you could try that for a week.

In your photo the scab looks to be on top of a swelling. If that's not the case, you can just keep an eye on it - maybe it's already healed - you have to go with your gut. Scrubbing it with the iodine is the least invasive thing. If there's any swelling at all you could try that for a week.
Okay thank you! I'll see how it goes. It currently doesn't feel like there's anything to remove as it's soft like her foot and flush with it as well. Is the colorless iodine just the regular brown kind you get at the pharmacy?

Colorless iodine is a different mixture than regular iodine. However, I know that regular iodine can be used as a disinfectant, so that might help as well. I'm not an expert, I just started using the colorless after it was recommended on BYC, but I know Povidone iodine is used as a disinfectant and I have at times added that into my ducks foot soak when treating a foot infection.

Colorless iodine is a different mixture than regular iodine. However, I know that regular iodine can be used as a disinfectant, so that might help as well. I'm not an expert, I just started using the colorless after it was recommended on BYC, but I know Povidone iodine is used as a disinfectant and I have at times added that into my ducks foot soak when treating a foot infection.
My husband tried to find some on his way home from work but couldn't find any so I've been using what I have and wrapping the foot daily or putting a neoprene type boot on her. The spot has gotten harder/smaller, a scab for sure (not dark like bumble foot would be) and is healing well. If I can find some of the colorless iodine I'm gonna keep it on hand.

Back
Top Bottom