Bumblefoot

In one of the other threads, someone said they give their ducks warm smashed potatoes in cold weather. Could you mix plain yogurt with the potatoes, and get them to eat it that way? Sorry, no ideas for the flavored stuff.

Sorry to hear about the renewed infection in Mildreds foot. Really sounds like she needs oral or injectable antibiotics. Any form of penicillin would be good, have you checked with friends or family to see if they have any leftovers in their medicine cabinets?
If you know anyone with livestock they will quite often have antibiotics, usually injectable, I know I have. If you find something post the name and strength and I'm sure someone can work out the correct dosage. Good luck.

Just sending a hello and a hug for you both!
hugs.gif

Your day is plenty full already, but the only idea I had about the yogurt was to put a tablespoon or three off the top of the flavored yogurt into a cup of milk that you've brought to pasteurization temperature then cooled to 110F, and let that sit in a warm place overnight - essentially make your own unflavored yogurt. Don't get anxious - it may not be something you want to try. But if you feel like it, it might work.

There are online instructions with the details.

Last edited:
Just sending a hello and a hug for you both!
hugs.gif

Your day is plenty full already, but the only idea I had about the yogurt was to put a tablespoon or three off the top of the flavored yogurt into a cup of milk that you've brought to pasteurization temperature then cooled to 110F, and let that sit in a warm place overnight - essentially make your own unflavored yogurt. Don't get anxious - it may not be something you want to try. But if you feel like it, it might work.

There are online instructions with the details.

Thanks, Amiga. We both needed the hug! I may just try the yogurt making. Hey, anything is worth a try, and the weather report just said 12-15 inches more of snow, so I am not driving anywhere soon!

Well, after three plus weeks of Bumblefoot, am really discouraged. Did surgery three weeks ago with over the counter antibiotics, clean bandage, neosporin daily, kept her quarantined in kennel in house (fresh bedding every day) and nutridench in water (separate from antibiotic) until it healed over then moved her out to the hen house for a few more days. The scab/swelling returned. So, got Baytril and have been giving her the antibiotic orally for five days - did not re-do surgery, but maybe I should have - was hoping the antibiotic would take care for it. Have been giving the antibiotic for five days, and although it looks a little better (about half as swollen but still have scab). Antibiotic only supposed to be given for 7 days, so kind of at the end of my options here.

Was also told to treat Mocha who had a small scab. Her's seems to have cleared up just fine. But she has been easier to give the antibiotic too.

Guessing I am not getting enough of the antibiotic in Mildred. I just don't know. They gave me syringes to measure the antibiotic and another one with a plastic curved neck (no needle) to administer it so it is easier to get in back of her throat.

Mid way through the five days I was going to do the surgery again, but husband won't let me bring her in the house and have no place else to put the kennel that is safe, so she has had to be in the duck house.

This is tough.

I don't know if I should suggest this, because there is some disagreement about it, but there is something called DMSO that some people have used with topical antibiotics in treating difficult cases of bumble foot.

Look into it and see if you want to try it.

Bumblefoot takes a long time to shake. Are you able to apply topical antibiotic ointment to it still? I would keep that up. It has taken six weeks to get rid of a relatively minor case for us.

Thanks, Amiga. Had quit the topical a few days or so ago, since it is no longer bandaged, but will start in again. Have heard of DMSO for other things, will look into it.

This has been a long hard haul for you and your ducks- I have been SO impressed with all you've been doing for them.
I'm not sure I could even get my girls to hold still long enough to even see what was going on...
Thanks for your updates- I've been thinking about you & Mildred! And will be hoping for more healing ...
Best wishes,
Robin

Back
Top Bottom