Bumblefoot

Also there is a product called Vetericyn it comes in a spray, you can get it at TSC it is for infections and wounds. Great stuff and maybe try it, since you could spray inside real good then bandage up. Sorry it is messed up again like Amiga says it's something your just goning to have to keep up with.

Well, four feed stores (pretty much all in the local area) and a friend of a friend that has raised ducks all her life later, I have oral antibiotics Duramycin 10. It's not indicated for bumblefoot, and they say not to give the to poultry being used for egg production though. Have call in to local avian vet and the local livestock advisors program - don't really expect a response one way or another, but it was worth a try before I give her the antibiotic. I assume we just can't eat the eggs for a period of time, but unlike the recommendations for other animals on the label which give time periods not to administer before processing, etc. The only other antibiotic I found was Aureomycin crumbles.

I will order some Vetericyn in the meantime.

Email response from avian vet, partially edited, "Unfortunately, there is not an over-the-counter antibiotic that is strong enough to treat bumblefoot in a duck. It would require an exam....plus the antibiotics. A prescription can be written to pick up medication from a pharmacy. Tetracycline's generally are not strong enough and if given, they should be given full strength in the mouth. Any eggs should not be consumed while on antibiotics."

No response from Livestock Advisor's yet. Have started administering the antibiotics I have (added to gallon of water), but not sounding like it will do anything other than keep two ducks isolated and on antibiotics for two weeks.

So is there anything I should watch for with administering antibiotics? I think I saw posts about diarrhea and giving them yogurt?

Email response from avian vet, partially edited, "Unfortunately, there is not an over-the-counter antibiotic that is strong enough to treat bumblefoot in a duck. It would require an exam....plus the antibiotics. A prescription can be written to pick up medication from a pharmacy. Tetracycline's generally are not strong enough and if given, they should be given full strength in the mouth. Any eggs should not be consumed while on antibiotics."

No response from Livestock Advisor's yet. Have started administering the antibiotics I have (added to gallon of water), but not sounding like it will do anything other than keep two ducks isolated and on antibiotics for two weeks.

So is there anything I should watch for with administering antibiotics? I think I saw posts about diarrhea and giving them yogurt?

I know it doesn't sound good, but alot have had sucsess so don't give up. And yes somekind of probiotic would be great to help keep the stomach bacteria in good order, I don't know what your duck will eat, yogurt is really good but to get mine to eat any i have to mix peas into it. Are you still trying to get the pus out or is it draing on it's own?

I know it doesn't sound good, but alot have had sucsess so don't give up. And yes somekind of probiotic would be great to help keep the stomach bacteria in good order, I don't know what your duck will eat, yogurt is really good but to get mine to eat any i have to mix peas into it. Are you still trying to get the pus out or is it draing on it's own?

Also I would still get the Vetericyn spray, For one thing you can get the spray up into the wound better I'd say.. And our TSC carries it.

I just had a mild case of bumblefoot on my duck Gloria, (that I am still treating) and I got really good results without having to lance the foot.
As you already did too late for that, but keep in mind that nutritional support is also very important. I have been giving Gloria Calcium, a Multi vitamin and a vitamin B supplement (as I read bumblefoot is a thiamine deficency). Her swelling is gradually going down without having to cut it.
So all that said try to give Madison some supplements, I think it will help her system heal much faster!
PS if you ave to give her pills try wrapping them in mozzarella cheese...my ducks love it and swallow anything hiding in it!
Good Luck and keep up the duck lovin', it so worth it!!!
wink.png

Today's update. When I changed the bandage this morning, the scab fell off. The foot is still somewhat swollen so I am thinking there may still be pus in there. But the wound itself looks to have healed. Guess I will leave it be for now, still giving her the antibiotics. Hopefully swelling will go down and won't have to contemplate opening it up again. She seems okay, but wants "out". Seriously, she's getting really impatient with all this. Keeping her in the duck house with a buddy during the day. Still giving lots of extra peas.....yogurt, she's not thrilled by, even with the peas.

Today's update. When I changed the bandage this morning, the scab fell off. The foot is still somewhat swollen so I am thinking there may still be pus in there. But the wound itself looks to have healed. Guess I will leave it be for now, still giving her the antibiotics. Hopefully swelling will go down and won't have to contemplate opening it up again. She seems okay, but wants "out". Seriously, she's getting really impatient with all this. Keeping her in the duck house with a buddy during the day. Still giving lots of extra peas.....yogurt, she's not thrilled by, even with the peas.

Thanks for the update, everything is an improvement and hopefully with continuing the antibiotics the swelling will go down.
fl.gif

I'm subscribing to this thread, both to keep updated on how Mildred is doing (best of luck!! Sounds like you are taking GREAT care of her!) and in case I ever need to treat a duck who has bumblefoot, which sounds scary and difficult.
It's particularly helpful that you live in the same area as me- thanks for all the information.

Yep, antibiotics and ducks - diarrhea! (smell! whew!) Peas didn't disguise the yogurt enough to convince them to eat it. Mixed Berry was a reject, orange cream is the only other flavor I have. (Note to self, keep plain yogurt and peas on hand just in case). Any suggestions on how to get ducks to eat flavored yogurt?. Wish I could get to feed store to get probiotic, solid ice and hill between us and them.

Back
Top Bottom