Bumblefoot

i would not put DMSO on a duck's foot. It is a carrying agent, and it will carry anything it is put with under the skin.

A duck's foot is in muck and duck poop because that is the way that ducks are. I would not want muck or poop germs carried into the foot.

i would not put DMSO on a duck's foot. It is a carrying agent, and it will carry anything it is put with under the skin.

A duck's foot is in muck and duck poop because that is the way that ducks are. I would not want muck or poop germs carried into the foot.

I have DMSO for ani mals but i only use it for sprains not open wounds. I would use Vetericyn spray for infections and wounds on an open wound.

DMSO is amzing for bumblefoot!!!!!

I see one of the best vets for ducks and geese in the widwest, and she makes me a solution of:

8cc DMSO
1cc Baytril
1cc Meloxicam

I use this solution on all cuts/ potential infections and it clears it up amazingly fast! I think Fattie on here has an old thread showing the super fast recovery of her ducks' bumblefoot from the DMSO I gave her.

I've seen this solution clear up the worst bumblefoot cases in less than a month!

You only need one drop daily on the infected area. You should put a bandage over it to keep in clean. I use this soltuion with shoes I make for my duckies whenever they have a foot issue. (cuts, broken toe nails, etc)

If you are worried about the solution, feel free to PM and I can give you my vet's information in case you want your vet to talk to mine. She's doesn't mind, she's really nice!

Thanks to everyone for your continued input and encouragement, I so appreciate it. I have one friend locally who has raised ducks. Her solution for bumblefoot is a lot simpler. Cull the infected duck - they are just ducks after all (yeah, well, more pets than barnyard animals in this house unfortuately). Just cannot bring myself to do that. Going to be much harder to do after spending so much time tending to the darned foot. I will keep trying, and hopefully...... Husband is losing patience with it. Especially since we have had no eggs since we started treating with antibiotics, and we are buying feed and getting nothing out of it. (So who is getting nothing??? Not me!)

After a month of treating two hens, one is okay, Mildred still has it, and this morning I went out to find that one of my drakes has it as well. Put the hens through a series of baytril for 10 days and Mildred is much better but still a small scab. Now Watson has spot at well. Checking there feet every day and treating with bag balm or neosporin if I find any cuts/etc. Feeling a little defeated by this darned thing!

Back
Top Bottom