Bumblefoot

Im not a nurse Im not a doctor am a trauma counselor so with that said perhaps google abx online in use of ducks or poultry and see if there is something that can be purchased without a vets prescription. I live very remotely and the vet for birds or poultry are more than a human seeing a neurologist CRAZY. good luck you sound like a great duck parent and of course pray cause God looks over all creatures. Im new to the duck world but check signs of infection, redness swelling now getting better after 10 to 14 days. That would be my course if I were you. good luck my fellow duck lover. there are those "Ask a vet" online people that seem to be pretty informational and not as expensive as going to the duck vet.

There have been some good topic discussions on the details of antibiotics. I'm not sure I can find one quickly, but I have seen them on BYC.

.... Here is an example topic from a search of "antibiotics duck" on BYC. Has what seems like helpful information.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=356725

Another little something chickboss and a number of other duck people worked on is in the Stickies under Duckie First Aid Kit. Check that out. I otta print that and stick it in my Storey's Guide.

Last edited:
Yay, BYC is back up!
yippiechickie.gif

Think I have experienced my first case of withdrawal.....
Mildred continues to improve. Yesterday I felt sorry for her and took her down in the duck house (still isolated from flock and clean bedding), as I am sure she is lonely. She heard the other ducks and just started quacking like crazy. Left her in the house for a couple hours but think it stressed her and the other ducks more as she couldn't get too them. Then when I went to bring her back in the house, opened the duck house, and she flew (much farther than I have ever seen her fly), and ran and jumped in the pond. I got her out, brought her back, cleaned the wound, rebandaged. So much for try to be nice. Won't try that again. The swelling was down considerably yesterday...so hopefully if I didn't blow it by letting her go AWOL.......Will see what I can do about antibiotics.

There have been times I brought a buddy to stay with the patient. Vier has an excellent personality for that. She has accompanied Sieben to the vet, too.

It was funny to explain to the vet that Vier was fine, she was just a companion duck.
big_smile.png

And it's a relief to hear Mildred seems to be doing well! It's good that you're not taking anything for granted.

Last edited:
Happy to hear Mildred is coming along so well, Hope she keeps going in that direction, and it may be a good idea to bring in a friend if you have the space.

Companion duck! I love it. I wish I had room to bring a friend in. She's just in a smaller dog kennel, so there is no additional room. Also, not much room for her to move around. That's why I took her out in the duck house for while. Maybe I can put her in the duck house with a friend today. Hate to keep her cooped up alone.

Well, Mildred had seemingly been doing so well. Day 6 and tonight she has a big knot on the top of her foot that was not there before. I obviously didn't get all the infection out. Haven't been able to locate any antibiotics I can use either. Feeling quite sad. Last couple days, thought she was going to be fine.

So there is no feed store near you? Could you mail order or order online?

Are you still treating the foot with antibiotic ointment?

Last edited:
I am still treating with antibiotic ointment. Been changing, cleaning, applying ointment everyday. I will try another feed store today. I have called the others and didn't get anyone knowledgeable. I know of one where the owner is there during the day will take a run over there during regular work hours and see if I get any further. I was trying not to order oline, because it would take too long....ha. Took too long anyway!

Bumblefoot is a really tenacious problem. The germs can get into tiny little spots in joints and hide out. I think that if you keep up with the topical antibiotic and - more than likely - if you can get her some oral antibiotics, it's going to take a little time but you can knock it out if it's still localized, or even if it's early enough in a systemic infection.

Back
Top Bottom