Bumblefoot

deblaw

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
I need some advice. I am positive that my hen as this. All the classic signs from what I've read on the internet. Swollen feet with scab on bottom. She doesn't limp much or act like it bothers her. I watched some videos on removing the scab and the chunks of infection from inside. I removed the scab, cutting fairly deep with only minimal pieces of yellow string stuff removed. I can feel a hard lump off to the side ( in the swollen area between her toes). I could not get that to come out of the hole. I almost feel like I would have to make another incision on top of her foot to remove it. Without really knowing what to do, I cleaned the wound with betadine solution, packed with antibiotic ointment and dressed it. I need some advice on weather I should re excise to try and remove that hard piece. I hate to cut her again. Although, she tolerates it very well. It feels pretty big and I'm not sure if it would come out of the hole I made with soaking. Help!! I'm afraid of Ethel getting sick.

dont worry leave it
if it is bothereing you wait till the other wound heals and she walks normally
if bumble foot redevelops then make another insicion and get the "bump" that u mentioned out of her
good luck

IMHO.. Cut again directly over the bump and get it out. I had to do a Large X on the bottom, and another straight incision on the top. If you allow it to heal up and do the "wait and see" approach, you risk the staph infection becoming systemic. Then you'll be giving penicillin injections and risk losing her.

Back
Top Bottom