Bunnies or Pig?!?!?!

AxolotlLove

Songster
Jan 8, 2016
Ok so I have to chose, 3 or 4 bunnies or a pot belly pig. If I get bunnies it will be sooner than I can get the pig, and we have 6 acres for the rabbits to graze in. I also have ducks, chickens, roosters, swans, junglefowl that live outside. I honestly think I would enjoy the rabbits, but pigs.... Oh PIGS!!!! They're so super cute as well and I have a place to put the pig. My only concern for the pig is it will get lonely all day. What do you think??

Just to inform you about your rabbits. You cant just let them free range on your acreage. Rabbits are not like chickens that will return back to their coop/hutch. They will run off when given a chance. If you are with them and they are tame, then you can have them running around loose near you.
The pig....... well, that is another story. The needs are different. Main drawback on pet pigs is what to do with them when they GROW BIG?????
It is good to see where you will land...... before you jump.
smile.png

I have free range rabbits that go in a hutch to eat I have 6 that are free in my yard and my yard it's fence in

I have free range rabbits that go in a hutch to eat I have 6 that are free in my yard and my yard it's fence in

Just curious. Do they ever try to dig out under fence??? or dig holes to make their natural burrows? I never kept rabbits but had family members that had them. They kept them in large enclosed cages. Elevated from the ground.

I have seen rabbits kept in large colonies in large pens but always well fenced. And they did do plenty of digging and burrowing, (and reproducing lol) the fence had to be sunk well below ground level. But domestic rabbits turned loose on 6 acres? That's just called a buffet for the local predator population.

If you get multiple rabbits do you plan to spay/neuter them? Males and females together obviously will reproduce like mad and you'll have a bazillion rabbits in no time flat. Females kept together will often fight as will bucks. Spayed/neutered rabbits may bond and get along well if raised together. But fights can still break out and they do an amazing amount of damage in no time. My rabbits have always been kept each to her own house and they seem to prefer it that way.

Do a lot of research into the different behavior, housing and dietary needs of both animals before you make your decision.

Just to inform you about your rabbits.    You cant just let them free range on your acreage.   Rabbits are not like chickens that will return back to their coop/hutch.    They will run off  when given a chance.    If you are with them   and they are tame, then you can have them running around loose near you.    
The pig.......   well, that is another story.     The needs are different.    Main drawback on pet pigs is what to do with them when they GROW BIG?????
It is good to see where you will land...... before you jump. :)

Of course they'll have a hutch. Only with supervision I'll let them out on occasion, but only because the bunnies I want are very tame. The pig size is no issue. I'm really considering bunnies at this point.

I have seen rabbits kept in large colonies in large pens but always well fenced.  And they did do plenty of digging and burrowing, (and reproducing lol) the fence had to be sunk well below ground level. But domestic rabbits turned loose on 6 acres?  That's just called a buffet for the local predator population.   

If you get multiple rabbits do you plan to spay/neuter them?  Males and females together obviously will reproduce like mad and you'll have a bazillion rabbits in no time flat.  Females kept together will often fight as will bucks.  Spayed/neutered rabbits may bond and get along well if raised together.  But fights can still break out and they do an amazing amount of damage in no time.  My rabbits have always been kept each to her own house and they seem to prefer it that way.

Do a lot of research into the different behavior, housing and dietary needs of both animals before you make your decision.  

I'll most likely only get females.
The only reason I'm asking is because I'm ready I get an animal at this point. I've got all research done and everything figured out.

Ok guys just clearing this up:
MY BUNNIES WILL NOT BE LOOSE IN MY YARD THEY WILL HAVE A HUTCH AND SUPERVISION WHEN THEY ARE OUT. Ok just needed to clear that up. I've done all research about both pigs and rabbits. If I get rabbits I'll most likely get 3 females. Pig will be female

Back
Top Bottom