BUSTED Chickies!!!!!!!

lswatson111304

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
Milano, TX
So I gave them a bowl of sand this morning after cleaning their brooder. I was waiting and waiting to watch them play in it and they wouldn't they were first afraid to check it out. Then they ventured into stepping in. That was it. I waited outside with them for 30 mintues. I went back in, and came back out to check and they are COVERED in sand. So cute. They looked at me like "Uh oh, we're busted"
Their brooder was so pretty and clean before.
Oh and they are eating the paper towels, whats up with that?

2011-10-20110520.jpg

2011-10-20110437.jpg

2011-10-20110412.jpg

You can tell on the silkies that they look so dull and dusty! LOL

Get rid of those paper towels and put some pine shavings down.......That's what I would do. It'll make things smell better and the brooder will look much neater.
wink.png

I did the same....saw them rolling int he pine shavings so went and got some DE. Put it in a bowl and waited...and waited...and waited.
hu.gif
nothing! Went inside to fill the water bottle and put the dogs back in---came back to dust everywhere and the babies scurrying into the corner like "uh-oh...were we supposed to do that?"
he.gif
I'll see it eventually.

yeah, I mixed the sand with DE just to multipurpose. Plus, I'm worried about anything that might be in our sand. We do have fleas...so yeah, dual purpose!

Awww what great fun for them! Dont you just love watching baby animals discover new and fun things? What breed is the chick in the sand box in the 2nd pic?

Dust baths are always fun. I never thought of giving them a sandbox in the brooder. Great idea!

When my darlings got moved out to the big girl coop, they proceeded to dig a hole (it was all grass in that area) big enough that the hens can lay in it & their backs are level with the ground. Not exactly what you want in the path where you walk in the semi-darkness!! The first time I "noticed" it...I stepped in it, lost my balance & tried to keep from falling into the electric fence nearby. I'm sure the goats wondered what I was doing.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom