But why.

CockGuardian

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2018
New Mexico
I recently got some ducklings. My Peking with wry neck occasionally kissy-bites my chickens, not hard enough to cause pain but still. I have 3 other small ducklings, and she does it to them too. Should I be concerned with them being alone with each other?

Waterfowl should not be mixed with chickens. Salmonella and Coccidiosis cross risk. The sick duck should be separated. And pekins are mean mostly. Especially to birds that don’t look like them. He is most likely bargaining for help or attention but he should really be in ICU.

How old is your Pekin? Have you tried to correct the wry neck? Always when adding new ducklings to already established flock whether one or many ducklings should be kept on one side of fencing adults on the other so they can meet and greet. It can be a temp setup inside a run and coop or in the house but only with supervision should ducklings that are new be with older ducks like Kkrista said they can be too rough and injure.

I don't know why Helloworld would say Pekins are mean mostly unless they had a bad experience, because they aren't. They are very popular as back yard pets because of their sweet nature. Drakes of course can be hormonal which is another reason drakes shouldn't be around ducklings but for the most part Pekins are very sweet natured.
My chickens and ducks and geese are always together and never have they passed on any sickness from one to the other.

Last edited:
5770F930-DFCC-4B21-80CA-4E2DD17928BD.jpeg
@CockGuardian please try the Liquid B complex found at TSC 1 ml per duck daily for your duck with wry neck. Put this over some kind of treat like peas or tomatoes or dried meal worms. Just enough treat your duck gets full dose.

How old is your Pekin? Have you tried to correct the wry neck? Always when adding new ducklings to already established flock whether one or many ducklings should be kept on one side of fencing adults on the other so they can meet and greet. It can be a temp setup inside a run and coop or in the house but only with supervision should ducklings that are new be with older ducks like Kkrista said they can be too rough and injure.

I don't know why Helloworld would say Pekins are mean mostly unless they had a bad experience, because they aren't. They are very popular as back yard pets because of their sweet nature. Drakes of course can be hormonal which is another reason drakes shouldn't be around ducklings but for the most part Pekins are very sweet natured.
My chickens and ducks and geese are always together and never have they passed on any sickness from one to the other.
I am not entirely sure, at least a month and a half. TSC gave them to us for free (we had another one, but recently my power was out and one of them died because it was too cold for the poor boy) because the Peking had the wry neck and a different breed had what I call claw feet. I just started getting ducks, so there is no flock, just the Peking.

Back
Top Bottom